weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I am a new sulcata owner. We got her, we are assuming is it a girl because of her extra scute, on 9/25/11. The reptile shop we got her from said they had her there for 4 months. I took her for her first vet visit that Tuesday after to make sure she is healthy and she weighed 77g. I weighed her again on Friday 9/30/11 and she weighed 80g. Is that too much weight gain. She is a very healthy eater and loves to nibble on her cuttle bone. Any ideas as to if this is normal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jess:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know where you are?

All tortoises grow at different rates, but sulcatas grow much faster than other types. Its probably perfectly normal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That weight sounds perfectly normal for a four month old. Their weight can fluctuate several grams in one day. If you weigh them right after a big meal and a drink, but before a poop and a pee, they will weigh more that if they have not eaten and already emptied out.

Wait for yours to poo and then weigh again. I'll bet it will be 77-78. Either way, that weight sounds good to me.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Thank you I will do that. My girlfriend and I are both vet techs and fell in love with sulcatas when one came into her hospital for an impaction. We studied and researched them for months and finally got one a week ago. She truley brings a smile to our faces every day. As much as I have read I still have so many questions. Today she has some white stuff on her forehead and by her eyes. She is currently taking metronidazole and panacur for parasites. any ideas as to what that could be?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen that in my desert tortoises too. Its usually because they're being kept too dry.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
Ok. I just bought a sprayer for her today. Thank you

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
jesst said:
Ok. I just bought a sprayer for her today. Thank you

I weighed her yesterday and she weighed 75g and was 3 1/4 inches long. She ended up losing 5 grams in since Friday. She is still eating very well and keeping hydrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.