Weight gain

J H

5 Year Member
Is my scale off ( cheaper non digital food scale) or is this normal. I weighed roxy 3 times to try to get a fairly accurate reading and it was 185 grams. A week later she weighed 207 grams also weighed 3 times. Both times the scale read exactly 185 and 207. It is a scale dedicated to her and not touched in between weigh in times. She was fed mainly romain before I got her she now eats a ton of spring mix and grass. Also both weights were same time of day right after a soak and large poops. Does this seem ok?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What seems unusual to you about 22 grams in a week? Seems very normal to me.

J H

5 Year Member
Ok. That's what I was wondering. I just wanted to make sure we are on the right track. Not to little or to much gain. Just in the normal range as wide as that is. She went form totally dry before I got her ( bone dry coir no added water at all / just dry coir from a large bag) to a constant 80-90% humidity all the time. Only wanted to know if we were on the right path.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Try not to weigh too frequently. Your body weight varies throughout the day and so does your tort's.

Weighing fortnightly, monthly even, is fine. Try to do it at the same time of day each time as well, say straight after a morning soak, to give some degree of consistency to the results :)

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Adding to the above, you'll eventually be able to tell just by picking it up whenther it feels like it has some weight or is too light. Like if you were holding a water balloon and then holding maybe an empty box.

J H

5 Year Member
Glad I'm on the right track. The amount of poop and pee they can do each day compared to body size is amazing! That's why I weigh after a soak and poop

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Glad I'm on the right track. The amount of poop and pee they can do each day compared to body size is amazing! That's why I weigh after a soak and poop
Don't I know it! With Charlie's size, it's like cleaning up after a horse! He always makes the biggest messes on the patio rather than on the lawn.