I am getting ready to build summer enclosure

Kevinrrussell

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
So I am building a Habitat for my red foot.. 4 feet by 13 feet for out side... Its going to be above ground on Pallets and fabric liner with pond lining. I am adding several holes for drainage at a depth of 4 inches. Substrate will be stone 1 inch or 2, then top soil will be 2 to 3 inches.. then bark.. reptile bark or coconut fiber. I will do PVC for underground watering...The plants on the outside and inside will be edible.. Inside will be lettuce(black), Glovers, Chicory, Dandelion, coneflowers, Sage, Lavender, Rosemary..outside will be Elephant grasses, Boston Ferns, and a ton of Annuals... any ideas.. we are thinking of a water fall and small stream down the middle and adding earthworms for natural protein. Hide will be a plant pot large...Michigan is expecting very warm in June 2018.. Please give me feedback on plants and food to be grown as a summer housing(daytime) night time will be inside.. we have Squirrels , Cats and Raccoons everywhere.. My 200 lb dog is awesome with Cats and People but anything else is laughable threat...lol she considers sleeping on threats in back yard...

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
To help me understand your pan fully can you give us s quick sketch of your idea.
Sounds good from what I’m thinking.
How big is your redfoot?

Jake1363

So I am building a Habitat for my red foot.. 4 feet by 13 feet for out side... Its going to be above ground on Pallets and fabric liner with pond lining. I am adding several holes for drainage at a depth of 4 inches. Substrate will be stone 1 inch or 2, then top soil will be 2 to 3 inches.. then bark.. reptile bark or coconut fiber. I will do PVC for underground watering...The plants on the outside and inside will be edible.. Inside will be lettuce(black), Glovers, Chicory, Dandelion, coneflowers, Sage, Lavender, Rosemary..outside will be Elephant grasses, Boston Ferns, and a ton of Annuals... any ideas.. we are thinking of a water fall and small stream down the middle and adding earthworms for natural protein. Hide will be a plant pot large...Michigan is expecting very warm in June 2018.. Please give me feedback on plants and food to be grown as a summer housing(daytime) night time will be inside.. we have Squirrels , Cats and Raccoons everywhere.. My 200 lb dog is awesome with Cats and People but anything else is laughable threat...lol she considers sleeping on threats in back yard...
If they are only 2 years old I would definitely be worried about raccoons. Cats not as much. But a raccoon could definitely take a 2year old redfoot. I personally have 1 who's 8.5inches (idk his age) and Iam building a new enclosure soon about the same dimensions. 4 ficus bushes are already growing for cover. I also have foxes in the area on top the raccoons. First year Iam going to have an open top. I used to just have a hatch with double layered chicken wire.

Kevinrrussell

Michigan
If they are only 2 years old I would definitely be worried about raccoons. Cats not as much. But a raccoon could definitely take a 2year old redfoot. I personally have 1 who's 8.5inches (idk his age) and Iam building a new enclosure soon about the same dimensions. 4 ficus bushes are already growing for cover. I also have foxes in the area on top the raccoons. First year Iam going to have an open top. I used to just have a hatch with double layered chicken wire.
My sketch looked terrible..lol..