I am sad

Mina Adel

How can I do nesting substrate ?
Which is better 5 cm or 15 cm in depth? sand substrate.!

1460926741617.jpg 1460926756532.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Moist coco coir sounds quite unnatural to me.
I don't keep kleinmanni, but I've seen a breeder who uses loamy/sandy soil with lots of plants to raise the humidity.

I guess in Egypt you should be able to find the perfect substrate for Egyptian tortoises outside. ;)

Mina Adel

Lol .. we don't have Egyptian tortoises. .. we import them from libnan ... They are expensive here. .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can I use mainly oyster shell plus little coco coir ?

This is an excerpt from an article by Ed Pirog, a very experienced tortoise-keeper:

"Substrate can be anything from a sand/soil mixture to sand or soil by itself. Some keepers have had good success using crushed oyster shell or aspen bedding. The tortoises do not burrow, so 2 to 3 inches of substrate is enough. Deeper substrate, around 5 inches, should be provided for nesting adults."

And this is an excerpt from an article written by Dr. Chris Tabaka:

"As a substrate, the dry portion of the environment should consist of a mixture of sand and clean topsoil. Some keepers use a combination of topsoil and chicken grit (crushed coarse limestone) as a substrate. As an alternative to these substrates grass hay serves admirably and is preferred by the authors."

And according to Richard Fife:

" I maintain my adult tortoises on a substrate of crushed oyster shell (available at most feed stores), or outside on suitable days."

So, the theme running through all these articles is crushed oyster shell or limestone. And it needs to be deep enough to encourage the female to dig a nest.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Better to use just coco coir. The coir holds water which will help to raise humidity.

Everything I've read says to keep them dry, no humidity. According to Dr. Lafeber: The Egyptian tortoise is native to an arid climate and cannot tolerate damp conditions. Strive for an ambient relative humidity between 20% and 30%. A shallow water bowl should be offered and changed regularly.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Everything I've read says to keep them dry, no humidity. According to Dr. Lafeber: The Egyptian tortoise is native to an arid climate and cannot tolerate damp conditions. Strive for an ambient relative humidity between 20% and 30%. A shallow water bowl should be offered and changed regularly.
@hermannicheis may know