100W or 160W MVB for indoor enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nupek

5 Year Member
Hi!
I'm building a new indoor enclosure for my leopard tortoise (2 years old). Size is 240 cm x 140 cm x 50 cm and a bulb can be fitted 30-70 cm from the substrate level. Around 40% will be covered with glass or plexi. I would like to use MVB, PowerSun and Solar Raptor are my only options. Should I go with 100W or 160W?
Thanks in advance for your advice and time!
Best Regards
nupek.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have used both. If it gets really cold where you have him, you might go with the larger one. I live in Chicago, our winters are cold and I keep my house at 70, so i used the 160. Not sure if you meant for it to go through the glass or not, but uv can not go through glass or plastic.

nupek

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I have used both. If it gets really cold where you have him, you might go with the larger one. I live in Chicago, our winters are cold and I keep my house at 70, so i used the 160. Not sure if you meant for it to go through the glass or not, but uv can not go through glass or plastic.

Thank you, wellington. I live in Sweden and apartments are quite cold in winter here. I will add some ceramic heaters too, mostly to use during the night. Bulb light will not go through the glass, glass will cover just part of the enclosure. And I will be able to change how far from the substrate bulb is.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For an enclosure that large you will need the 160. This will give your tortoise a larger basking area too.

nupek

5 Year Member
Tom said:
For an enclosure that large you will need the 160. This will give your tortoise a larger basking area too.

Thank you, Tom. Do you think it is better to place the 160 W bulb as much in the center as possible or more to one side?

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I also prefer lights on one side, helps give a better temperature gradient across the whole cage, giving them the freedom to choose hot or cool.

nupek

5 Year Member
Thank you for answers :)

If the bulb is one side, isn't it better to also add fluorescent tubes in the middle? This way there is no so much heat but more UVB? And on the opposite end, some lightless heat source (like ceramic heater) so temperature should not drop there below 24C?

J REED

5 Year Member
Re: RE: 100W or 160W MVB for indoor enclosure?

nupek said:
Thank you for answers :)

If the bulb is one side, isn't it better to also add fluorescent tubes in the middle? This way there is no so much heat but more UVB? And on the opposite end, some lightless heat source (like ceramic heater) so temperature should not drop there below 24C?

I have a 5'x26"x24" and I have in one end, a zoo med double dome lamp with a Powersun MVB in one side and a CHE in the other half.Running down center I have a 4' regular fluorescent light strip.Im going to be adding another CHE to other end as well..The side with the CHE on a thermostat is 82 at night.The opposite end gets down to about 75, thats why im adding another che in opposite end with another thermostat..

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.