I can not get over having to surrender my Mali 🇲🇱. Thank you for the last 9 years, you helped me give her the best years so far.

Obbie

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I don’t know how to stop making myself sick. Having to surrender Mali , she’s always been alone, I believe they are solitary beings. My daughter really showed me that Mali 🇲🇱 needs more room, she’s not ever brumated or anything like that. Shes about 60 pounds, she is at the top of what I can lift. We’re in Town Houses with a large back yard. The fence is block 150 X 100 or so, just this last few months she’s gotten bigger, now she stomps around and just won’t stop some days. I miss her so much. I’ll stay with the Forum, you all have been unbelievably helpful Good days ahead

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Sorry to hear that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So sorry.
She's a sulcata right? They don't brumate and the yard, 100x150 feet sure seems big enough. They are solitary animals and should stay that way. Except being in Minnesota, which has harsh winters, and makes having a large tortoise more difficult, it can be done, specially seeing you already had him. What did you have for her for winter?
Except it gets harder to handle the bigger they get and the older we get, I think your daughter may have given you some wrong advice, unless it was more cause you can't handle him, then I understand.
They do stomp around, heck even my much smaller leopard, who has plenty of room, stomps around most of the day. If he isn't grazing, he's stomping.

Obbie

Minnesota
So sorry.
She's a sulcata right? They don't brumate and the yard, 100x150 feet sure seems big enough. They are solitary animals and should stay that way. Except being in Minnesota, which has harsh winters, and makes having a large tortoise more difficult, it can be done, specially seeing you already had him. What did you have for her for winter?
Except it gets harder to handle the bigger they get and the older we get, I think your daughter may have given you some wrong advice, unless it was more cause you can't handle him, then I understand.
They do stomp around, heck even my much smaller leopard, who has plenty of room, stomps around most of the day. If he isn't grazing, he's stomping.
Thank you, I moved us down to Green Valley 2 years ago. My biggest worry, she likes people, she liked her shell brushed with corn broom, feet rubbed. I honestly thought I could keep her till “till death do we part”.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Are you looking for a new home, or did you find one already?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Where is Green Valley, which state?
Did you already rehoming her or still looking?
When I looked up Green Valley, I seen one in IL, AZ and CA. All better then MN for a large tortoise.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you, I moved us down to Green Valley 2 years ago. My biggest worry, she likes people, she liked her shell brushed with corn broom, feet rubbed. I honestly thought I could keep her till “till death do we part”.
Is there no way you could keep her - perhaps paying a local person to help with some of the tasks you find difficult to carry out with her ? My heart goes out to you - I couldn't bear to be without our little Zola.
Angie