I.D. Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I have this growing every where in my front lawn and the back.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375459629.463006.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1375459647.365657.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1375459663.686183.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1375459682.312853.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1375459700.858011.jpg

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Last edited by a moderator:

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
Oh I HATE that stuff!... thats "creeping charlie" Glechoma hederacea. some people call it ground ivy as well. Pain in the butt to get rid of in your lawn...

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
So I'm guessing it's not okay for tortoises?

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
From what I can remember its not suggested. I think I read a post on here saying they used a herbacide to kill it before constructing an outdoor pen.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
There's a lot of confusion when it comes to creeping charlie and mallow.. at least for me it is. So, I decided to read a little about it instead of bugging Yvonne, though I'm sure with more experience I can figure it out :D

I can't tell from the pics, but if the stem is squarish then it's creeping charlie. Also, if it smells minty when crushed then it's creeping charlie. That's what reading got me, anyways. If anyone can help more, I'd really like to know better tell-tale signs between the two.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I don't think it's mallow. I looked it up, and it doesn't blossom... or at least that a know of. It stays the same all summer.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
hunterk997 said:
I don't think it's mallow. I looked it up, and it doesn't blossom... or at least that a know of. It stays the same all summer.

Common mallow has tiny, white blossoms. I'll take a picture tomorrow, if I remember.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
I know the two are hard to tell the difference. I always thought mallow has some rounded points on the leaf. I could be wrong. ;-)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Teodora said:
I know the two are hard to tell the difference. I always thought mallow has some rounded points on the leaf. I could be wrong. ;-)

I did more reading and it turns out that the ground ivy has the rounder edges while mallow is a bit more jagged. Another sign is the veins.. mallow veins radiate outwards in straight lines from the stem and the ground ivy (creeping charlie) is more branch-like. Sometimes I hate being so curious to the point of obsession :p

Status
Not open for further replies.