I don't have a tortoise yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caellena

5 Year Member
Hi, my name is Katie I'm from Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. I don't have any tortoises yet but I'm considering getting a Greek or Russian Tortoise as a graduation present to myself. I currently have 3 dogs, Ali a Shepherd and two Pomeranians Rupert and Kipper; two cats Jericho and Jojo; a Rabbit, Carlos and a Hedgehog, Sunny. Before I get looking more into breeders I want to make sure I can get a really good understanding of everything a tortoise needs, I've looked at the enclosures on here, and was wondering if anyone has tried C & C cages I have one for my rabbit and one for my hedgehog. They are made out of corrugated plastic and wire mesh square which are attached with zip ties (the pet only comes in contact with corrugated plastic part of the cage). You have to buy everything separately but they are much cheaper than store bought kits. I don't know if they would work or not but just curious if anyone has tried them. I've also read on here about the food, mainly the veggies. I was really happy to read that much of the vegetables tortoises eat are the same as my bunny. I actually just planted a little vegetable/herb garden for her. I'm really excited about the prospect of adding a new little member to our family (if you can't already tell), even if it is a little while off. The main question I have though is about the lighting/temperature. I read that the you need to consider four areas "warm side, cool side, basking, and night" does this mean their should always be four temperatures available in an enclosure, or is night literally it should be this temperature at night? I'm sorry if that sounds odd. Also I have looked into finding tortoises and I am having some trouble, I can't seem to find anywhere near me that breeds tortoises. Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to find one down the road?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Hello and welcome to the forum. :tort:

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Welcome! Night temperature actually means the temperature at night. I don't even know what a C and C cage is, though I kind of doubt that they will come big enough. A minimum size would be 4' x 2', but I use that for my baby Russian, and have planned an indoor enclosure of 8' x 4' for when she is an adult. The question is really how much space can you provide your tortoise, and does that cage come in that size or will buying an old bookcase work better? Some tortoise species like to burrow, so you need to make sure you have enough depth so they can. I know we have a good number of members who live in Canada, so maybe one of them knows a breeder near you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katie, and welcome to the Forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.