I don't think my tortoise is eating enough

Lindaq

Hi Everyone,

I have had my sulcata tortoise for 3 days. We built her an outside area that had a cover 6 X 4. She is about 3 inches long. I don't keep her out at night or if the weather is bad. I have a tank inside for her. Once we get a lock for the enclosure we will probably leave her outside more, but I live on a lake and sometimes raccoons visit.

I am concerned she is not eating enough. I have given her hibiscus leaves and flowers as well as grass and a few weeds. I have also give her romaine lettuce. She does not seem to be eating a lot.

I have added a light to the tank, which I did not have before. I put a 150 watt bulb. Is that too much wattage?

Sorry one more question. Can they eat marigolds?

Please advise me on what to do about her eating and also the bulb.

Thank you in advance

Linda Quinn

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
certain Marigolds arw toxic just avoid to be safe.What are your temperatures inside and out?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They do need to be able to bask and get their body temps up around 95-100 in order to properly digest their food. If they are not allowed this, they won't eat a lot and eventually stop eating. Be sure she can do this. Also be sure she is well hydrated.

Lindaq

the temperature for sure has not been that warm. I just bought a bulb and thermometer, so maybe that is why she is not eating. I do live in Florida so it is rather warm here year around. The past few days have been cloudy and even though the temperature is 85 degrees there is not much sun.

Is the diet of hibiscus leaves and flowers and grass ok to give her for now. I confess I bought her from a pet store before I came onto the forum and they were feeding her iceberg lettuce. I have not give her any because I know it is not good for her.

Does she get hydrated by me soaking her or should I also put a saucer of water in her enclosure?

Thank you so much for your advise I appreciate it

Linda Quinn

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Linda, and welcome to the Forum!

Since your tortoise is only 3" long, I suggest you forget about putting it outside and keep it indoors for a year or so. I don't put mine outside until they're big enough for a medium-sized bird to not be able to pick it up. You can take him out for some occasional sun, with supervision, but at 3" I feel staying in a covered habitat with a lot of humidity and moisture is more beneficial than being outside all day.

I think you'll find an increased appetite once he's in a more stable environment temperaturewise.

Lindaq

that does make sense. The habitat we built outside does have a secured cover on it, just not a lock yet. The inside habitat is a lot smaller because I was expecting to only use it at night. My first question is about how old is she and what size habitat do I need inside for her to be happy?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Don't panic Linda. I had the same issue with Oli (my Greek tort) when he was new to the place, enclosure, environment and the rest. Torts do not like change and therefore take a real lot of time to adapt to it when they are "obliged" to. So don't worry.:)

Lindaq

A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Don't panic Linda. I had the same issue with Oli (my Greek tort) when he was new to the place, enclosure, environment and the rest. Torts do not like change and therefore take a real lot of time to adapt to it when they are "obliged" to. So don't worry.:)

Thank you so much. I do feel better. I did purchase a ceramic plate that is hanging above the tank and heated things up a bit. she did eat for the past two days, which makes me very happy. I was going to have her stay outside in a habitat we built for her during the day and come inside at night until she gets bigger. Do you think the back and forth will mess her up?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you so much. I do feel better. I did purchase a ceramic plate that is hanging above the tank and heated things up a bit. she did eat for the past two days, which makes me very happy. I was going to have her stay outside in a habitat we built for her during the day and come inside at night until she gets bigger. Do you think the back and forth will mess her up?
You are welcome.

Personally speaking I would settle the tort in one and only one place/enclosure. However, if you intend to keep your tort in a specific place till she grows up then I think that would be fine, as it means a lot of time, and not days/weeks/months.

Take it easy and do NOT hesitate to ask ANY question whenever in doubt. We all began from "ZERO." And please keep me updated. ;)

Good luck!:<3:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Like I said above, a small tortoise like yours needs the heat and humidity. If you can provide that outside then by all means set it up outside. But it's very important, as you've seen with the lack of appetite, for a small tortoise to live in warm, humid conditions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is the care info for baby sulcatas. Follow this and you'll be all set.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

I like to have both an indoor AND an outdoor set up. I put babies outside for an hour or two a day several days a week, but leave them inside in the controlled, stable warm, humid, indoor conditions most of the time and at night especially.