I found a Box Turtle...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
This is such a tough call.

Just my two cents: if I found a wild animal that was obviously in danger where he was, from whatever threat, especially human/motor vehicle threats, I might make as large an enclosure for it as I could, and keep it until I could find a way to return it to a safer "wild" area than the one I found it in.

Why should I let it go into an obviously dangerous place that is too close to people and machines? Like sending it to its death...I could not do that. If it was an illegal animal to keep, I would call the relevant authority, and hope they would relocate it in a safe place.

Yep, me too. We find a lot of Eastern Box Turtles in the middle or right on the edge of major highways here. Cars & trucks swooping by at 70 mph, and they venture out & sadly get squished. If safe, I always stop & pick up the EBT and release it in a massive nature preserve with ponds & streams & mixed forest land that is usually about a mile or two from where these torts are found. Releasing them in a safe area gives them a fighting chance.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Yep, me too. We find a lot of Eastern Box Turtles in the middle or right on the edge of major highways here. Cars & trucks swooping by at 70 mph, and they venture out & sadly get squished. If safe, I always stop & pick up the EBT and release it in a massive nature preserve with ponds & streams & mixed forest land that is usually about a mile or two from where these torts are found. Releasing them in a safe area gives them a fighting chance.
Yes that's what I read is within their range only about 2 or 3 miles. Once, I had a turtle not a box turtle that was trying to cross a very busy street in front of my house. It's a major route for school buses and lots of traffic even though it's a one way street. My neighbor brought her to me thinking she might be my tortoise. I kept her overnight and called fish and wildlife on what to do with her. They said release her where I found her. Well I did but placed her facing the back of my yard where she could head back to the area she came from. She actually remembered coming through my front door I think because she came there first and scratched at my front door. Then she played around the front of my house in a flower bed and then left but was headed to an area much safer and didn't go back to the street. I can't remember what type of turtle that one was but was told their range is more like 12 miles (maybe more). I do think what my neighbor and I did may have made an impact on her to make her think twice possibly though. At least I hope so.?