i found empty egg?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Nope. No turtles from those eggs. When a baby hatches the shell still looks white and brittle, just like a chicken egg that you crack.
Yvonne???? Tortoise eggs - yes. Turtle (aquatic - including box turtles) - NO! They are soft and pliable. If left in the sun to dry out, they get brittle. But nothing like chicken eggs. Look at the picture of my spotted turtle eggs that just hatched. I can squeeze them and they will simply spring back when released. Like a very thin piece of leather. What Colleen is holding is exactly like my musk, or map, or slider, or cooter, or diamond back terrapin, or spotted turtle eggs look like after the baby emerges.

Spotted turtle eggs hatching...

IMG_1206.JPG

Cooter Eggs hatching...

IMG_5518.JPG

Last edited:

ratbones7

5 Year Member
last year i had one female lay eggs in june and i was lucky to see when she was doing it. put heavy chicken wire around nest...for protection and also to contain babies when hatched. my main pen has large enough holes in fencing for a baby to get thru. anyway...come sept...nothing. finally about october decided to check nest a bit. all the eggs seem to be like your bottom one. could tell they never developed. one seemed like maybe it could have had baby. was disappointed but dud eggs can be pretty common. a week or so later my wife was raking across the yard and found smallest little baby. don't know how it got out. was a miracle she found it.