I need an answer (sick sulcata)

Wigglyworm

My sulcata tortoise is only 3 months old. She hasn't been eating, drinking, and she wont open her eyes. The thing that worries me the most is her shell... It's purplish brown on the bottom and her shell is becoming soft. I bought liquid Calcium but she wont eat or drink therefore she wont take the medicine. I need help.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
None of that sounds good. How are you housing it? What are the low temperatures, day and night, in the enclosure? How warm is the basking spot? Are you soaking in warm water everyday? Have you tried the carrot baby food soaks? What are you doing for UVB?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What are your temps inside the enclosure? Day, night, basking. What's the humidity? What type of UVB bulbs are you using? How often do you give warm soaks? All this will help us help you.
In the mean time, get some carrot baby food and kids pedialyte and add it to a warm water soak. Keep him warm the whole time soaking. Also, if you are using a coil type UVB bulb, stop using it and get a mercury vapor bulb or a tube flourescent bulb. If it's warm where you are, get the baby out into some sun. Making sure there is some shade available and do not leave out unattended.
Then read all the sticky threads under the sulcata section.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise needs to be seen by a vet so you can get expert advice on how to bring her back to health. It is a very sick little tortoise.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
That doesn't sound good, I'm so sorry...I hope you see a herp vet very soon. Prayers!