I need help with my sulcata tortoise

Sherry Anfinson

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hi, I have a Sulcata tortoise, he is about 23 years old. He weighs 150 pounds just guessing and he has small cracks on his shell, when I was looking at the crack you could see little bubbles, no dirt or blood,
Should I do anything or just leave it alone?
Thank you for any help

Attachments

• IMG_1940.jpeg
    IMG_1940.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1939.jpeg
    IMG_1939.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1938.jpeg
    IMG_1938.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome. I am asking @Yvonne G and @Tom to give their advice here to help you. They may need more pictures and the details of how you keep him. Thanks.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Is it just the one spot? It looks to be a old wound. I would clean it real good, the bubbles you might be seeing. Could possibly be a insect has laid eggs. I think using a spray nozzle on your hose. Should wash it out, I wouldn't scrub. Dry off with a light colored cloth to see if you get any puss or blood. Then keep a eye on it. Look around the yard to make sure there is no nails, screws poking through a board or metal. Also look for sharp metal edges like downspouts.
My sully is already in bed,I will take a picture of a spot on his carapace that resembles that spot

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually when we see dried up new growth like that it's because he's been sitting under a light or heat source that's too close to the shell.

Paint on some cold pressed coconut oil, allow it to soak in then polish it off with an absorbent cloth.

Sherry Anfinson

CA
Is it just the one spot? It looks to be a old wound. I would clean it real good, the bubbles you might be seeing. Could possibly be a insect has laid eggs. I think using a spray nozzle on your hose. Should wash it out, I wouldn't scrub. Dry off with a light colored cloth to see if you get any puss or blood. Then keep a eye on it. Look around the yard to make sure there is no nails, screws poking through a board or metal. Also look for sharp metal edges like downspouts.
My sully is already in bed,I will take a picture of a spot on his carapace that resembles that spot
We have him in an enclosed area of the yard all the right plants and a warm house with a heating pad
Thank you for your advice

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those aren't bubbles. Those are fly eggs. This is the first year that I have ever seen flies attacking my tortoises. It is insane. They go for the new growth between the seams. My friends in FL have this problem with mosquitoes. A thin coat of vaseline shines up the carapace, does no harm, and stops the flies without toxic chemicals. You should also hang several types of fly traps around your place to reduce their numbers.

Where in CA are you? We don't need the address, just a general idea of the city. Different advice for Big Bear vs. Barstow.

Sherry Anfinson

CA
Those aren't bubbles. Those are fly eggs. This is the first year that I have ever seen flies attacking my tortoises. It is insane. They go for the new growth between the seams. My friends in FL have this problem with mosquitoes. A thin coat of vaseline shines up the carapace, does no harm, and stops the flies without toxic chemicals. You should also hang several types of fly traps around your place to reduce their numbers.

Where in CA are you? We don't need the address, just a general idea of the city. Different advice for Big Bear vs. Barstow.
Thousand Oaks i

Thousand Oaks its nice weather year round

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thousand Oaks i

Thousand Oaks its nice weather year round
I'm in SCV, not too far from you. I have friends and I work in TO regularly. The weather is nice for people, but on the cool side for a sulcata most of the year.

Here are examples of insulated night boxes and how to effectively and safely heat them:

These boxes won't eliminate the flies, but they will keep your tortoise warm and safe at night and on hot days or cold days, plus it helps smooth out that rough growth that is so common here in southern CA.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Here is a before and after picture of my sullies wound. It's hard to see but the growth ring between the scutes. Had a split for about 2". The split healed fine. The 2 holes there is a little difference.
IMG_20230923_174538.jpg
20230923_173015.jpg

Sherry Anfinson

CA
And you were right about it being fly eggs as soon as we cleaned it off and let it dry. We looked at it the next day and there were no fly eggs in the cracks ,so no more “ bubbles”

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I can only figure Opo got caught on a nail or screw. I looked all over the yard and looked for sharp metal edges. I couldn't find anything and it has never happened again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And you were right about it being fly eggs as soon as we cleaned it off and let it dry. We looked at it the next day and there were no fly eggs in the cracks ,so no more “ bubbles”
In all my years, that has never happened. So strange. Its a terrible thing, but I'm glad its not just me...