I need some help from some computer savvy people?

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Okay so I have always thought I was pretty savvy with computers but apparently I am wrong. lol.

This is what my problem is. I had a few things saved to my desktop, like word documents and such. I usually don't keep a bunch of stuff on my desktop, only the most recent stuff until I find time to move/organize it. But due to nursing school and being busy it accumulated to about 20 items. My sister told me that it would be better for my computer and that it would run faster if I didn't keep all of that stuff on the desktop. So I put it all into a folder that I named "desktop" and put that folder into my documents section. That was probably a couple of weeks ago. Now that I have time I decided to organize those files however I found that a lot of the things in that desktop folder now say "alias" at the end of the name. And when I try to open it, whether it is a folder or a word doc, it says "The alias (name of item) can't be opened because the original item can't be found". It then gives me the options to "delete the alias" which just deletes it, "ok" which does nothing, or "fix alias.." which then opens up a new little box that displays all of my items in finder, it looks like it wants me to find the original.

I don't know what any of this means! What is an alias? How come this is the only time its happened in the past 2.5 years I've had it. And most importantly, how do I recover them so that I can see what the word document says??

What I am most concerned with is that all of Turbo's (my sulcatas) weights are on there from the time I got him and I am terrified that I will not be able to recover them!!
I have tried to google the problem but everything is way over my head. Can anybody help me??

If it makes a difference I have a macbook pro. When I click "about this mac" it says "OS X" and "Version 10.9.3". And my Word is "Microsoft Word: Mac 2011" and it says "Version 14.4.1).

If anyone could please help me, give me any advice, or a website that better explains it, it would help SO much. I really don't want to lose all of Turbo's weight info :/

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Have you tried dragging the file into word? Or right click and choose "open with" if I recall macs update and backup so might be an update thing. I don't really know either. Thought I would try.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
So it looks like an alias is the Mac word for a shortcut (I have a Mac and I don't know these things either!)...So it sounds like maybe you just have a folder of shortcuts.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/working-with-aliases-in-mac-os-x.html

Have you tried doing a computer-wide search for any of the affected documents to see if the real files are located elsewhere?

erdavis

5 Year Member
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
I have tried dragging it into word as well as choosing to open with multiple things. And searching finder for it. I also spent a good couple of hours researching and downloading several programs and then changing the file and doing a whole bunch of who knows what I was doing! Lol. I eventually was able to open his weigh chart file and it was a whole bunch of symbols and jumbled up things so I'm pretty sure it's ruined.
What sucks is that I had all of his weights on a piece of paper until I put it all on this word document just a couple of weeks ago. Oh well :/
I will start a new chart all over now. And will remember for future references to keep an extra copy of weights for turbo (and hopefully my future aldabra) on paper as well.
Thanks for the help guys!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Did you delete the files off your desktop when to moved them into the folder? The alias is a shortcut link, so if the original file has been deleted, it can't open. Is it possible the files are in your Trash?

Maverick

5 Year Member
Try renaming the folder to something besides "desktop"