i need the pros

Status
Not open for further replies.

russevan

5 Year Member
i have a baby leopard tortoise that is around the size oof a raquetball or squash ball.i have had it for two weeks.it was eating fine and then for the past three days it stopped eating and sleeps all the time.i tried soaking it and then put it near the greens but it walked over the greens and went to the corner and fell asleep.the substrate was cocofiber but i have sinced moved the tort to a twenty gallon aquarium with no lid and paper towel on the bottom so i can better moniter.im in windsor ontario and there are no herp vets around so i need your help to help this little guy!!!!!!!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give us a complete run down of the temps, humidity, foods, soakings, anything else you can think of.

russevan

5 Year Member
Humidity is good I keep misting daily , temps are 31-32 at daytime and about 28 at night.i had him in a zoomed cedar tortoise house but switched to a twenty gallon aquarium with paper towel instead of the coco fiber,I have not noticed any bowel movements either.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Your temperatures are a bit too low. I would increase them to 31 at the lowest and 35ish as a high until he starts eating.

What is your "good" humidity level at exactly?

russevan

5 Year Member
Neal said:
Your temperatures are a bit too low. I would increase them to 31 at the lowest and 35ish as a high until he starts eating.

What is your "good" humidity level at exactly?

I do not know exact but I make sure the coco fiber is moist

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What are you feeding him? what kind of lighting do you have? can you post a pic of your setup ?

russevan

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
What are you feeding him? what kind of lighting do you have? can you post a pic of your setup ?

I m feeding dandelion greens ,turnip greens and zoomed grassland tortoise food.rightnow he is in a twenty gallon tank with water dish and hide cave with food placed in corner.lights are at one end I have a black night basking bulb and a daylight UVB bulb both one hundred watts.temp is at 32 on hot side and 22 on cool side Period. He seems not interested in any of the food and sleep most of the time
I spoke to the local reptile dealer and he suggested giving it pedialight.he also says I should put him bake in the tortoise table with coco fiber substrate because this will help with the humidity. He also says that torts can go weeks without eating.any of this true or anything you agree with?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would go ahead and put him back in the aquarium. Temps should be 95+ for basking and all over temp and night temp should be no lower then 80 with a humidity of 80. If he is under a year old, you should soak him in warm water every day for 20-30 minutes, keeping water warm. He should have no light at night, like they do in the wild. A CHE ( ceramic heat emitter) is good for that. The UVB light should not be the coil kind, they have been known to cause eye problems. Tortoises can go quite a while without food, more as adults though then yearlings or younger. You can also add puréed carrot baby food to his soak water to try and get him to start eating again. Good luck, hope this helps. There are also threads at the bottom of my post that are all good for raising a leopard.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What is the brand of light bulb you are using?

Again, I am going to recommend boosting the temperatures. The 32 degrees is good for a low, and a high of 35 is good until he starts eating. 22 is just too low, he is not able to digest his food at that temperature and therefore will have no desire to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.