I read that three toed box were shy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Terry, to answer your question about hibernation - First off, our falls are VERY wet and cold and respiratory infections and pneumonia are always a possibility, as are flooding burrows. Second, the current pen is on a slab. I don't have anywhere for them to be able to dig down deep enough to keep from freezing solid. Third, I don't really see any reason that they HAVE to. For my peace of mind, it works better for me knowing they are healthy and safe. Just personal preference.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Kristina said:
Terry, to answer your question about hibernation - First off, our falls are VERY wet and cold and respiratory infections and pneumonia are always a possibility, as are flooding burrows. Second, the current pen is on a slab. I don't have anywhere for them to be able to dig down deep enough to keep from freezing solid. Third, I don't really see any reason that they HAVE to. For my peace of mind, it works better for me knowing they are healthy and safe. Just personal preference.

Under those circumstances, I would take them inside too Kristina. I worry every Winter if I'll ever see them again. So far, so good, but it's a lot of hard work to prepare the hibernation cave. The soil has to be loosened to about two feet. Two more feet of leaf litter and then a load of pine hay. Every year I have to go into the woods and look for a dead pine tree....So far I've been lucky....no one has eaten me while I was in the woods looking. Scary! LOL
I also have to make sure all the drain pipes are clean. Two feet of snow makes a lot of water to drain out. The hibernation cave is on the high end so the water drains down toward the pipes. Lots of work.........

SailingMystic said:
herpgirl24 said:
The leaves and branches were all neat and in one corner, with the flat wood piece making a nice burrow. Then the next morning he had rearranged it like this. I have tried fixing it again a few times but he just messes it up again!
I have taken out the flat wood since then to give more floor space.

he sure likes to dig around, I always find him half buried with his little booty up! So cute.

I am planning on a larger water dish, just need to find one that fits well.

Awesome-- and holy smokes he likes to dig!! I love when they leave their little elephant butts sticking out :)!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
007-3.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
That pic of Izzy is priceless. I still hold out hope that you will be reunited with her one day :(

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
IMG_20111006_070555.jpg

I love this picture.

How do you post such large pictures? mine are so very small.

Last edited by a moderator:

gmarie808

5 Year Member
Hi Everyone! I just became a turtle mom a few months ago of a 3 toed 20yr old male, Clyde, and then an ornate 15yr old female, Shelly. I love them both dearly. They are both on the shy side but are equally inquisitive and love adventuring outside. Clyde had been living at my bf's mothers house for several years. They took care of Clyde when he could not. Now that he is stable, with me, he was concerned with Clyde's living conditions at his mom's and decided to bring Clyde home. Boy was I surprised! (He had recently "rescued" his cat back from them as well) I was really worried regarding the care of this turtle and his lack of appetite. He told me that Clyde had a mate, Bonnie (of course), who had died ten years back. So I checked craigslist and -wallah- there was Shelly, a female box turtle for sale! I love craigslist like that! They wanted $90 I gave them $80 and now I am a turtle mommy 2x over! He built them an enclosure, still needs some work but it's roomy and safe. Eventually I would love to house them outside but we rent so it would be hard to control what goes on outside (exterminators, yard men, a huge Avocado tree, stray cats & red ants). We live in Hawaii so I think the temperatures are quite ideal for outside living ( approx 80-90F daytime & 55-65F nightly) for now we have converted a 3'x5' plastic sandbox to their outside loft. ; ) I hope they are happier than they were in their previous homes. I am happy to have them.:tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.