I searched but couldn't find the answer

amglpn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW Florida
I have had my guy for about a month, all has been well until now. He started pooping in his water dish which he has always done it when soaking, is this normal? Also today he has flipped himself in the middle of his enclosure (nothing around him to climb) 3 times!! Lucky someone was here and saw him so he wasn't flipped long. But my concern is why the changes??

**as i type this i see my one dog has taken an interest in the enclosure could this be why? No way for the dog to get into the enclosure for sure!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Pooping in the water dish is inevitable. Especially as soon as you clean it out.

Flipping over is only possible when the tortoise is trying to climb something and topples over, or is flipped by another tortoise. They can not possibly just flip over by themselves if there is nothing to climb up on to get out of balance. If there is nothing around it where it flipped, something else flipped it.

amglpn

5 Year Member
SW Florida
He is by himself. He seems to like to follow the dog(just started tonight) so I'm wondering if he was climbing on the front glass and flipped backwards and that's why he was in the middle of the enclosure. I haven't ever seen him climb on the walls tell tonight when the dog was in front of him....bizarre. Not sure if its stressing him out or he likes the dog? Now I'm on to find new place for enclosure I guess......

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Marks post. I would do something so he can't see the dog and the dog can't see him. Taping some paper on the outside of the glass should work for the tort, as long as the dog will leave it alone. Be positive the dog can't get to the tort. If he does, the tort will be chewed up.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
He is by himself. He seems to like to follow the dog(just started tonight) so I'm wondering if he was climbing on the front glass and flipped backwards and that's why he was in the middle of the enclosure. I haven't ever seen him climb on the walls tell tonight when the dog was in front of him....bizarre. Not sure if its stressing him out or he likes the dog? Now I'm on to find new place for enclosure I guess......
One of my sulcatas is obsessed with my dog. It looks like they are playing. At least the dog thinks so. My dog is only in there when we are, but that one sulcata is about 14", and its really fun to see him chase the dog. When the dog is in the sulcata yard with me, that one sulcata will come rushing over. Amazing how fast he is. There are tortoises that are 120 and 170 lbs in there but only this smaller one will go after the dog. It is actually quite a popular video on Facebook. I think he is probably trying to drive the dog out of his territory. And he is relentless. Maybe your tortoise has a thing for dogs like this one of mine????

amglpn

5 Year Member
SW Florida
That's funny Mark!!I would love to see the video. I've been watching him and hes walking kind of taller sometimes so I think your right hes trying to get the dog out of his territory lol Yeah my dog is having a blast. I'm covering it up now and putting the dog to bed lol Thanks again, I really appreciate the help

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think he is probably trying to drive the dog out of his territory. And he is relentless. Maybe your tortoise has a thing for dogs like this one of mine????

My tortoise is also 14" but of the other African species. A leopard. Levi will chase my 85lb dog and ram him if given the opportunity.
Regardless of what Levi is doing, if he sees Muttley, he will stop his activity and pursue the dog. We've had to create a specific "turtle time out" yard so that the dog can get a break.
Muttley is never left alone with Levi and although he's very well trained, I wouldnt trust him to not "get even" with Levi given the chance.

How big is your enclosure? If he flipped climbing the side and ended up in the middle, I'm thinking it's a small space. Small, undecorated and plain enclosures greatly increase the chances of a tortoise pacing/climbing/flipping.

Every enclosure should try to mimic the great outdoors to some extent.

amglpn

5 Year Member
SW Florida
Sad to say yes it is a small enclosure (20 gallon tank)I do take him outside at least once a day and he has pool time inside a dry kiddie pool 1-2 times a day so he can get exercise. But i cant go bigger inside and be able to still keep dogs away, so this is it for now. I would love for my dog and little guy to be friends. I just didn't want to be stressing him out. His home is plain :( but I thought if he had less in there he could have more space.

So what is better more stuff inside enclosure or more room? If you had to pick??

Also I found a nice air plant at work and wondered if I could put in his tank?

amglpn

5 Year Member
SW Florida
Sad to say yes it is a small enclosure (20 gallon tank)I do take him outside at least once a day and he has pool time inside a dry kiddie pool 1-2 times a day so he can get exercise. But i cant go bigger inside and be able to still keep dogs away, so this is it for now. I would love for my dog and little guy to be friends. I just didn't want to be stressing him out. His home is plain :( but I thought if he had less in there he could have more space.

So what is better more stuff inside enclosure or more room? If you had to pick??

Its a 40 gallon tank, sorry didnt know how to edit my post

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

They will never be friends. Tortoises are solitary and see any other creature in their space as a threat.

Can you make your enclosure 2 level? Some people have done that. Check the enclosure section for ideas. Also if you have obstacles in his enclosure that he can't see around and has to walk around, it will seem bigger to him.