Baby sulcata died from being flipped over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budforever442200

5 Year Member
Hello I am sorry to say my sulcata just passed. We are DEVISTATED. He flipped himself over for a few hrs before we found him. When we flipped him back over he was confused/disoriented. He was also gasping/choking and about 2 hrs later he passed. I was trying to find a vet but at 10 at night it was pretty hard. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this happening to such a small sulcata. Thanks and RIP tortoise face.

Attachments

• IMG_3087.JPG
    IMG_3087.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 222

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lynnwood, WA
That is heart-breaking. I've been hearing so many drowning stories on this forum lately. I'm very sorry. That last 2 hrs before he passed must be painful :( He looks like such a sweet sulcata.

It's very easy for a tortoise to drown... especially if there is a high potential of it falling on its back.. it would be a good idea to not fill the bowl with so much water. I wonder if there was a way to save it from choking.

Budforever442200

5 Year Member
He didn't flip in the water bowl. He was in the corner on the cool side.<---crying all night.

EKLC

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry to hear that. RIP little tortoise. Sometimes there is not much to be done when a tortoise has the desire to flip. Best wishes to you. My baby died on Sunday and the tears still flow, but when the shock is gone they are just tears from the good memories

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very sorry for you. My condolences. I'm very perplexed. It is quite common for babies to flip themselves. I have found many babies flipped who were probably sitting that way for hours before I discovered them. I can't explain this one... Whatever the case, I wish you well in your time of grief.

NaturalK84

5 Year Member
I am sorry for your loss. About a year ago, my baby sulcata flipped himself over. The next morning i found him dead. This was on the first night i had it!!!

Katherine

5 Year Member
I am so very sorry for you! How terribly sad : (

Although I have no idea what happened to your tortoise, my understanding of tortoise anatomy is that their lung space stretched out and located up against their carapace, above the other internal organs. It makes sense to me that a tortoise who found itself unable to flip over would feel the pressure of the bladder/stomach etc bearing down on the pleural cavity and develop anoxia after an extended period of time. Again just speculation, and I have had many hatchlings flip over briefly and be fine. Very very sorry for your loss.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
This is what I am so worried about... My baby has fliped over 5 times in one day... My hubby was home all that day freeking out... I think I check like 20 times a day now... I am so sorry for your loss :(

Banshee

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
I lost my baby on Tuesday. This is not a good trend! :( I am so sorry for your loss. I was inconsolable.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Oh! I'm so sorry for your loss!! I hope your heart heals soon!

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
I am sorry for your loss!
I have a red foot who would always try to climb the walls and would flip, so I added more plants and hiding areas, haven't seen him try since

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
OH NO! I'M SO SORRY!!! Mine have been flipping over left to right as well but I check on them constantly since I purchased them and flip them back right away but last week I left for a few hours as we all went out and 1 was flipped over when I got back and I was so scared but when I flipped it back it was gaping for air and was scared but they are fine...I'm so scared to leave now but it's much easier as I am a stay at home and check on them every 30 minutes or so, sometimes more sometimes less... AGAIN I am sooooooo SORRY for your loss and I can't imagine losing my hatchlings. My teacup chihuahua was hit by a car last month or so and I am very sad about it but kinda numb to the pain as I lost my daughter at 6months of age back in 2008.

celerityblur

5 Year Member
First time posting. Like everyone here, I'm sorry for you and your little guy. I've had a tortoise (named Koopa) die and it's hard to get over. I have a new Tortoise, Plato, and he used to flip all the time.

I found that there are two options, 1. build a larger enclosure and 2. build shallow trenches around the perimeter. The enclosure lessens their curiosity and need to explore outside, and the trenches make it difficult for them to get the angle that their center of gravity passes their feet resulting in a fall on the back. When you first move the tortoise into the new enclosure, be especially vigilant as he will be curious and more apt to flip over.

Avoid enclosures with steep hills and keep the water bowl in the center of the cage to avoid drowning. Be especially careful to proof up the region closest to the heat lamp to avoid overheating.

Again I wish you best through this sad time and I hope these points help if you choose to get a new baby someday.

dustee35

10 Year Member!
So sorry to all the people who have lost torts lately. My thoughts and prayers are with you all Deanna

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Tom said:
Very sorry for you. My condolences. I'm very perplexed. It is quite common for babies to flip themselves. I have found many babies flipped who were probably sitting that way for hours before I discovered them. I can't explain this one... Whatever the case, I wish you well in your time of grief.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Sorry for your loss!

Status
Not open for further replies.