I think I broke my turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
How easy is it for RES to pyramid? I thought I was doing everything right, but they look as though they are starting to show it. They are babies and havent lost their scutes yet, but they have grown A LOT since I got them. What exactly makes them pyramid?? I am going to post pics later and hopefully if they are decent enough someone can tell me if i'm seeing things or I really did break my turtles :(

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
MichelleCarrigan78 said:
How easy is it for RES to pyramid? I thought I was doing everything right, but they look as though they are starting to show it. They are babies and havent lost their scutes yet, but they have grown A LOT since I got them. What exactly makes them pyramid?? I am going to post pics later and hopefully if they are decent enough someone can tell me if i'm seeing things or I really did break my turtles :(

They may be growing too fast. Most turtles have some "down time" in the wild when environmental factors are not "ideal. Also they do not have access to rich foods daily or even weekly. Start floating a whole leaf of romaine lettucue in the water. RES turtles are omnivours. Feed pellets,worms, ect..3 maybe 4 days a week. Lettuce the other days, and 1 day of fasting.
Keep water temps mid 70, warm basking site 8hrs daily.
Too much food+too much heat causes improper growth.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Or too much period! They are quite the little beggars and they make you fell pretty guilty when you don't give them something to eat every time you walk by the aquarium. Resist the impulse!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Pyramiding in aquatics is also partially caused by too much protein. (unlike tortoises, which under high humidity can still grow smooth even if on a high protein diet) Too much protein also harms their livers and kidneys. Letting your turtle gorge on, say, lettuce is no problem, as lettuce is easily digested and the protein levels are low with high water content. While letting your turtle gorge on, say, Reptomin over time will likely make it pyramid or even worse, kill it.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
Well I will definately be more sparing with the pellets. I thought that was a good "cover-all" food for them...I know better now, THANKS!!

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
MichelleCarrigan78 said:
Well I will definately be more sparing with the pellets. I thought that was a good "cover-all" food for them...I know better now, THANKS!!

Pellets are a good thing..but in moderation. Add variety with them. The RES down here in TN are hibernating now, but will be eating much in a few months.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
A good tip is to feed no more pellets than would fit inside the turtle's head if it were hollow, once a day. You can however allow them to have greens. The same stuff you feed your tortoise is just fine.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Any water turtles that I've ever taken in were mostly deformed from too much protein and over feeding. Try feeding some water plants....duckweed is an excellent sauce of food for water turtles. They are notorious for begging for food every time they see you. You will have to use "tuff love".:D:D

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
I do feed them as many pellets as would fit into their head, although I cant say the same for my husband or daughter, so who really knows how much they really get. But Im in charge of the food now. I havent done much with lettuce or water plants. Next time I am in a pet store I'll look for duckweed.

Status
Not open for further replies.