I took Munchy to the vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

looneybug

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
el cajon ca usa
I took Munchy (4month old sulcata) to the vet yesterday because he hasn't been eating at all for a few days and very little for about 2 weeks. And is not opening his eyes at all. The doc force fed him and gave me stuff to feed him. He opened his eyes alittle this morning but has a little discarge from his left eye. I hope my baby gets better

The doc also said that he might have a vitamin A or iron deficiency and recommended more beta kerotine and iron. She said she thinks that the place I bought him form or the breeder did something wrong and that he might just be not right.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Leilani:

The most common cause for a baby tortoise to stop eating is that he has been allowed to get cold. So go back and re-read Tom's "how to raise healthy hatchling" thread, then go over your tortoise-keeping and make any corrections and tweaks that it needs. And put him into a little tub of warm water every single day!!! for about 15 minutes. This is VERY important. Eyes stick shut because the baby is not hydrated or being kept moist enough.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I've been soaking him every day since I got him and 2-3 times a day since he stopped eating I have checked my temps over and over again and his temps are perfect the vet said that she didn't think he was dehyrated and that his temps were fine

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I am not using coil bulbs and I told her no shots the doc does think its a vitamin A deficiency but she doesn't know for sure

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
feed foods with vit a in them.. you can also get liquid bird vitamins and add to the soaks or try on food,, but she might not like the taste or smell.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I am soaking him in water with the multi vitamin mix in it and I perked him up the first time I tried it (about 4-5 days ago) but it I don't know if he is drinking any of it

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Very smart refusing shots..vets always want to give vitamin A..and never turns. Out good...did you try baby food soaks yet?

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
Yes he doesn't seem to notice any difference but I guess the beta kerotine in the carrots is good for him. And I'm actually happy that the vet agreed with me I haven't been to her before and really like the way she works

Also happy to announce he made it trough the night

Status
Not open for further replies.