I need advice. (buy a sick baby???)

Status
Not open for further replies.

looneybug

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
el cajon ca usa
I when to the place that I bought Munchy (my first baby) from today and they have one tiny itty bitty baby left all by its self. This place has very nice people and truely care about there animals however I think that they have a bad habit of buying from bad breeders so their torts are not in the best shape when they arrive.
The baby they have left looks weak and like he might not be all that well. I have gone in several times after Munchy died and asked if any of their babys had gotten sick and he said every one was fine. He also offered me a discount if I wanted another one. I am worried about this litttle guy and know that is he is sick there is only so much the pet store can do for him. I am thinking about just buying the baby and seeing how things go but I want some oppinions. I have a baby rite now and would house them separatly till the new one proved his health and am prepaired to seperate them wen they get better.

What should I do?

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
RE: I need advice.

Only you can know if its the right thing as he could end up cost you a lot on money in vet bills, but I know how you feel I am one of thoses people who gets animals that I feel sorry for!! I have been looking at a tortoise that someone is trying to sell which I believe is too much as looks to have bad pyramiding but I still keeping thinking about it!!

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa

The reason why I want to help so badly is because I know the they can only offer him so much hands on care I have the time and ability to help. . . Vet bills are always a tough but I can find a way.

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member

If you can be nice as you seem to be someone who really cares and hopefully all it needs is a good home and the right care

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

I know exactly how you feel! Let us know what you decide.He may just need some love :)

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa

I wish there was some way I could get hime checked out before I buy him. . . I know this sounds weird but if he is not sick then I'm fine with him staying there till some one wants him. But if he is sick thatt means he doesn't have time to wait

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

I feel for you! I see it all the time in pet store and I want to bring them all home. It takes all my restraint not to buy them.
I know it's hard but you also have to think about the future. Do you have a huge yard for the pair and what happens if you move?
Maybe nurse him back to health and rehome him? Let's us know what you decide. Maybe he just needs love like the OP have said. You know we love baby pics:)

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I do have land for them and housing them apart will not b a problem . . . I was thinking about rehoming him later
Thank you all I'm going to go talk to the guy and see wats up

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
DISCOUNTS?? Will the store discount this apparantly ill baby to assist in giving it a shot at life seing as you may be in for a fight with the baby??

erica anne

5 Year Member
If you buy the baby you need to keep them apart for a MINIMUM of 90 days because you never know what he has. I would buy him so that he is able to get whatever treatment he needs bit babies have the hardest time surviving sicknesses, sulcatas especially.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I did. . . I'm bringing him home. . . He's stronger than I thought but I was still worried and they gave him to me for half off . . . I hope he lives

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Congrats!! He may just need a changed environment. I always find the pet store enclosures to be to cold. Good luck!!

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
Ok well I got him home and he is stronger than I thought but he is deffinatly sick I believe he has a uri and he is soooo skinny but strong

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Poor little guy. I hope he makes it. Prepare for the worst, but I'm definitely hoping for the best. Keep us posted.

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
Me 2 . . . I'm keeping them apart. . . And being very careful not to infect tortellini. . . I hope he makes it

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
Cudos for you! I wish I could do that with some I have seen here. So many people get them at pet stores and then decide they don't want them... I always want to get the babies and give me a better life. But I know in the long run I won't be able to afford it and won't have the space for them. Id love to be able to open up a tortoise rescue one day here. But I'm not sure if it'll ever happen. Funding would be very difficult. :/

looneybug

5 Year Member
el cajon ca usa
I might end up having to give this guy away once he's better but for now I'm going to help him as much as I can

And actually I want to start a rescue of my own eventually. . . But that's not going to happen till after college

Status
Not open for further replies.