i wanna get a red foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcwms90

5 Year Member
hey im new here an new to tortoises but ive done research an ive decided that i want a red foot tortoise but i have a few qeustions
1. how much monthly will it cost to care for this animal?
2. im making my own enclosure. how big does it have to be ft wise?
3. what supplys do i need before i purchase one?
4. is turtles & tortoises inc a reliable breeder?
5.or they hard to care for in general?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi rcwms90:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
rcwms90 said:
hey im new here an new to tortoises but ive done research an ive decided that i want a red foot tortoise but i have a few qeustions

Depends on what fruits and vegetables go for in your local market...obviously, the bigger it grows, the more it will eat. Also, a little protein, from time to time (soaked high-quality dog food once a month is fine). And if kept inside, it'll need a good calcium/phosphorus suppliment...outside, it'll get it's Vitamin D from the sun

You didn't mention how large a redfoot you're buying, or if you're keeping it inside, outside, or both (depending on the time of year)...considering that it could get to 12-15" SCL, you'll want to build at least a 3' X 8' X 2' "tortoise table", sometime like this:

TABLE%20LEFT.JPG

For an outside enclosure...well, you really can't build one TOO large, but I'd go minimally w/ 6' X 12' for one, 8' X 16' for 2 or 3 (tortoises are addictive)...this size gives you room to give your new pet room to be healthy/happy.

Inside: water dish, substrata (cypress mulch is great), heat lamp, UV lamp, flat rock to feed on, hidebox.

Outside: all of above, except for the lamps and mulch.

No idea.

Not terribly...just common sense stuff, mostly...and you've come to a great place, chock-full of folks who'll be happy to help you w/ any questions! Also, read over this: http://redfoottortoise.com/generalcare.htm

Welcome to our little slice of Paradise! :tort:

rcwms90

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi rcwms90:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

hey im reggi from baton rouge,la

Terry Allan Hall said:
rcwms90 said:

Depends on what fruits and vegetables go for in your local market...obviously, the bigger it grows, the more it will eat. Also, a little protein, from time to time (soaked high-quality dog food once a month is fine). And if kept inside, it'll need a good calcium/phosphorus suppliment...outside, it'll get it's Vitamin D from the sun

You didn't mention how large a redfoot you're buying, or if you're keeping it inside, outside, or both (depending on the time of year)...considering that it could get to 12-15" SCL, you'll want to build at least a 3' X 8' X 2' "tortoise table", sometime like this:

TABLE%20LEFT.JPG

For an outside enclosure...well, you really can't build one TOO large, but I'd go minimally w/ 6' X 12' for one, 8' X 16' for 2 or 3 (tortoises are addictive)...this size gives you room to give your new pet room to be healthy/happy.

Inside: water dish, substrata (cypress mulch is great), heat lamp, UV lamp, flat rock to feed on, hidebox.

Outside: all of above, except for the lamps and mulch.

No idea.

Not terribly...just common sense stuff, mostly...and you've come to a great place, chock-full of folks who'll be happy to help you w/ any questions! Also, read over this: http://redfoottortoise.com/generalcare.htm

Welcome to our little slice of Paradise! :tort:

hey im planing on geting a baby one maybe 3-4in an i plan to keep it mainly inside but ill take him outside everyonce in a while thanks that table is great

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Reggi:

You absolutely MUST consider that at one time or another your tortoise may need a vet. So include vet costs in your monthly tortoise budget.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
rcwms90 said:
hey im planing on geting a baby one maybe 3-4in an i plan to keep it mainly inside but ill take him outside everyonce in a while thanks that table is great

Keep in mind that a 3-4" baby will become an adult before you know it!

And no light will take the place of natural sunlight, so any day that's not too cold, let your new pet get at least an hour's worth...it'll go along way towards keeping him/her in optimum health!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
As a RF owner, I think the last three posters have sized it up for you. Good Luck... There are several rf breeders here on the site and owners. Go to the sales section and you might find a good tort here. I like this because the breeders that I have considered and have used have all been responsive to my questions and I know where to find them when I do need a question answered. (hope this helps and is not meant to sway you from the place you menton in any way). LA should be nice and humid for your little tort, so you are making the right selection in the species that you want to raise.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
If this is going to be your first reptile then there will be some new things for you, but it shouldnt be a problem if you are willing to put the time in. It's great that you are doing your research before buying.

Maybe you can consider buying an RF at a reptile expo. Like what Dixie said, LA would be a great place to raise an RF with the high levels of humidity.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Some additional thoughts...

1. If you have a chance, get a 'cherry-head'- this is a type of Red-foot that comes from more rugged, variable climate. They are more forgiving and hardy, and usually a bit more colorful to boot.

2. You mentioned you would mostly keep it inside. This would be a shame- LA's climate would be nearly perfect for these tortoises. Even if you only had an outdoor 'playpen' to put it in for a few hours a day it would be nice.

3. A decent size for tortoise housing in general is 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths. They can do well in a smaller space, but pretty much all animals will do better in larger habitats.

4. There is a lot of good info on-line for Red-foots. The Tortoise Library linked in my sig has a lot of info and links that may help.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
i own a redfoot..prices unsure for sure but...
Fresh food/greens....etc.
Vet when needed
Electricity
water bills
all commone sense here is what i feed my tortoise! ..

I feed her every other day....(do a day miss a day)
I feed.....Lettuces,(not iceburg),Red cabbage,greencabbage,dandelion leafs,dandelion flowers,sweetheart cabbage,sweet lettuce,mushrooms,mix salad bags...stir fry mixes..apple,pears,peaches,plums,mango,butternut squash,watermelon,honeydue melon,orange melon (unkown),grapes,kiwi,dog food..(not alot)...pinkie mice....going to buy some frozen chicks,she finds insects in the garden,grazes on grass,wild flowers(non toxic),
and much more but my mind has gone blank...i sprinkle cuttlefish powder over the food every other feeding!

Things to purchase! ........(simple and cheap)
Hide
Water bowl
Food bowl
Substrate (cypress mulch/sphagnum moss)
plants real/fake......
Pellets as a treat!

Heat lamp
Uvb lamp!
Enclosure depends for a young or juvenile or adult?
Dont forget they need out door time...quite alot in warm weather....

they are not realy hard to care for mostly common sense.....unkown about the breeder.
Instead of feeding pinkies as i say in my post feed hopper miceas they are better and do not have as much high fat etc.....cant think of anything else atm if i do...ILL BE BACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.