ID verification, please.

Teacup

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
I am pretty sure this first one is a dandelion. I'm wondering if they're much taller/thinner than I am used to since we have very thick clay soil here in Georgia?

weed1.jpg

This other one, I cannot figure out. I thought maybe it was a kind of dandelion at first but couldn't find a decent ID online. Then I thought maybe prickly lettuce but a close examination shows no spines. Any thoughts? The stem is green and purple, they are quite tall (2-4ft), and the leaves are smooth and supple. I have not seen one flower.

weed2.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your dandelion-like plant might be sow thistle - edible. The other one looks like sow thistle too, just an older plant.

Teacup

Georgia
Your dandelion-like plant might be sow thistle - edible. The other one looks like sow thistle too, just an older plant.

Thank you, Yvonne! :)

On a Facebook page for RTs, someone identified the first plant as a possible Cat's Ear. Either way, both are edible so I am happy!

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
I don't think that second one is sow thistle as I have seen both and I just don't know the second plant's name. It is very similar, but it grows very prickly and stiffer than sow thistle from the get go. Not an aging process. If it is sow thistle it's a different variety than the typical one.