Please ID this plant

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Can anyone ID this plant? I'm 99% sure it grew from a tortoise seed mix I ordered that contains from the list of below, but i can't figure out which one this is by trying to ID it...

Crimson Clover
White New Zealand Clover
Red Clover
Plantain
Turf Fescue
Orchard Grass
Fescue, Creeping Red
Chia
Chicory
Turnip Greens
Timothy grass
Kentucky Bluegrass
Dandelion
Chickweed

Fezzik is super picky but absolutely loves this, whatever it is

Attachments

• IMG_6980.jpg
    IMG_6980.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6978.jpg
    IMG_6978.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 12

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Is it the one with the yellow flowers?

Whether it's the one with flowers or not it's something in the brassica family. That includes turnips but this doesn't look like a "common" turnip to me. Maybe rutabaga, which is fairly close to it. It could also be a turnip that has bolted (started to set seeds), which would explain why the scraggly looking one on the left doesn't quite look like turnip anymore. Safe in moderation either way. And no wonder your tortoise likes it, they like most brassicas.

EricW

Houston, TX
I agree with @RosemaryDW. It is definitely Brassica family and would either be the turnip greens from the seed mix or an invasive "weed" in the family found in the area (such as Rapeseed) that blew in or accidently made it into the seed mix.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can anyone ID this plant? I'm 99% sure it grew from a tortoise seed mix I ordered that contains from the list of below, but i can't figure out which one this is by trying to ID it...

Crimson Clover
White New Zealand Clover
Red Clover
Plantain
Turf Fescue
Orchard Grass
Fescue, Creeping Red
Chia
Chicory
Turnip Greens
Timothy grass
Kentucky Bluegrass
Dandelion
Chickweed

Fezzik is super picky but absolutely loves this, whatever it is
That's wild mustard. Not every weed in your yard came from your intentional seed mix. :)

They can eat it, but most don't seem to like it a lot.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
That's wild mustard. Not every weed in your yard came from your intentional seed mix. :)

They can eat it, but most don't seem to like it a lot.
He loves it, and he's very picky... I am still skeptical it is a wild weed though. Just given the location - right where I planted a bunch of seeds and a mostly covered area where its less likely (tho not impossible) for things to blow in, my location, etc, feels very slim chance it wasn't from the planted seed. I wonder if it was included in the seed mix, but good to know what it is, thanks!

EricW

Houston, TX
He loves it, and he's very picky... I am still skeptical it is a wild weed though. Just given the location - right where I planted a bunch of seeds and a mostly covered area where its less likely (tho not impossible) for things to blow in, my location, etc, feels very slim chance it wasn't from the planted seed. I wonder if it was included in the seed mix, but good to know what it is, thanks!
There usually is a certain amount of "error" in packaged seeds. It is difficult to have 100% pure seed packs and could very well be part of the small percent of error in the seed mix, thus not listed.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
There usually is a certain amount of "error" in packaged seeds. It is difficult to have 100% pure seed packs and could very well be part of the small percent of error in the seed mix, thus not listed.
Yeah, that's what would make the most sense to me