Ideal Russian Tortoise Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyssadaunvoit

5 Year Member
I have two Russian Tortoises and I'm curious what the BEST choice in diet is. I feel there is something wrong with everything so I need help :(

I thought Romaine lettuce was good but apparently that is too 'wet' for Russian's.
She also told me hay is a good choice for them...

Right now though there diet consists of Romaine lettuce, Kale, and collard greens.

Please help! :0

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Alyssadaunvoit:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Of course you know that the ideal diet for a steppe tortoise is one he finds for himself, outside, while wandering around looking for things to eat.

If that's not possible, then the next best thing is for you to pick those very same items and bring them to him. There are many, many edible weeds and plants that your tortoise can eat...prickly lettuce, fillaree, mallow, cactus, mullberry and grape leaves, dandelion leaves, dichondra, clover, hibiscus, plantain, to name just a few. Grocery store foods should always be your final choice...a last resort, so to speak.

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Massachusetts, USA
Hibiscus(decorative tree) and prickly pear cactus could both be found at a nursery.

Dandelion greens and prickly pear pads can be found at grocery stores too, or at least they are around me.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Just keep in mind one thing- while we know a lot about these tortoises, there really is not an 'ideal' diet in captivity.

Of course, there is not an IDEAL diet for people, babies, cats, dogs... either.

Status
Not open for further replies.