Ideas for indoor/outdoor for my sullys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankandramsley

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I'm Chandler and I have two sulcatas, Franklin (3 years) and Ramsley (1 year) and I need a better solution for their home.

They love being outside, and I made them a table out of wood a while back, but obviously being outside in florida with humidity and rain it is getting a little beat up. So I thought I would make a new one for them.. They need something for the outside, and something for inside because It will be getting a bit chilly soon. I talked to my dad and he was saying we should get something like this for the outside (minus the dog!) http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...t:429,r:13,s:18&tx=138&ty=48&biw=1280&bih=621
-What do you guys htink about that? I would put some grass in there too so they feel like their outside, but it's hard to just leave them outside because we have hawks that will pick them up in no time so unless i have a good cover or something I might just have to leave them in the patio/screened in area in that thing. What do you think ?

Also, what should I do for the inside ? I'm hesitant to make a huge table because Im low on room around here. But if that's what they need, then I'll make one..I just need a place for them when it gets cold. (Yes, it gets pretty chilly in florida!!!)

One more question I promise that's it lol. What should I do about a humid box? I've done the plastic container and sprayed it but the water would be gone within 30 min... any suggestions?

Thanks so much!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Chandler:

Welcome to the forum!!

I'd love to see pictures of Frank and Ramsley.

If it were me who was setting up habitats for two little sulcatas, I would build some sort of fence right on the ground. This is a picture of my isolation pens. Something like this would be ideal for your little sulcatas but of course, you would only need one:

isolationpens-2.jpg

If you build you pen next to an existing house or fence, you only need three sides, the house or fence being the 4th side. Or you could even utilize a corner of an existing fence for two of the sides.

This way your little tortoise would have real dirt to play in, with maybe some grasses and weeds to graze on.

Then for winter time or colder weather, I used my car port. I built several cinder block houses on the car port. They are lined with sheet styrofoam and plywood, have lights and heat mats:

winterhouse-1.jpg

winterhouse-2.jpg

Of course, your kiddie pool idea would work too, I just think the tortoises would be happier on the real ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.