Identification of two tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
I agree with CGKeith. And there are several substrates you can use such as coco coir, cypress mulch, potting soil, etc. Are you keeping them inside or outside?

andreasvatne

5 Year Member
Eweezyfosheezy said:
I agree with CGKeith. And there are several substrates you can use such as coco coir, cypress mulch, potting soil, etc. Are you keeping them inside or outside?

Inside, what would you recommend as best and what have you used for yours? Also is reptile bark bad for them or is it still a possible substrate?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
andreasvatne said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

Inside, what would you recommend as best and what have you used for yours? Also is reptile bark bad for them or is it still a possible substrate?

For inside I like to use cypress mulch and orchid bark because it smells good and isnt messy. Your going to have to bake the substrate you get or you could end up with many bugs in it. I myself had a gnat problem and that was just a pain in the a**.

andreasvatne

5 Year Member
Eweezyfosheezy said:
andreasvatne said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

For inside I like to use cypress mulch and orchid bark because it smells good and isnt messy. Your going to have to bake the substrate you get or you could end up with many bugs in it. I myself had a gnat problem and that was just a pain in the a**.

Ok thanks, I am just going to have to see what I am going to do.

andreasvatne

5 Year Member
andreasvatne said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:
andreasvatne said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

Hey Im just wondering, since they are both male is it okay that I keep them in the same enclosure?

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Where are you located?
It can't be that bad, that an outdoor enclosure is out of question... Not Iceland or Scotland, I hope :)? Some people in Denmark keep them outdoors April-September...
Build them a fine outdoor enclosure, let them enjoy sunlight and temperature swings!

I have Ibera males together (in fact, the ones you have are southern ssp. of the Ibera-types) and no problem. Maybe at the beginning you may have a fight, as I had, but they will get along just fine after that.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
andreasvatne said:
andreasvatne said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:
andreasvatne said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:

Hey Im just wondering, since they are both male is it okay that I keep them in the same enclosure?

I wouldnt keep the two males together.

andreasvatne

5 Year Member
CactusVinnie said:
Where are you located?
It can't be that bad, that an outdoor enclosure is out of question... Not Iceland or Scotland, I hope :)? Some people in Denmark keep them outdoors April-September...
Build them a fine outdoor enclosure, let them enjoy sunlight and temperature swings!

I have Ibera males together (in fact, the ones you have are southern ssp. of the Ibera-types) and no problem. Maybe at the beginning you may have a fight, as I had, but they will get along just fine after that.

I am located in Abu Dhabi, Unied Arab Emirates, and right now all temperatures are over 104 degrees farenheit almost. I will try to have them outside in the winter all though when the temp. lies around 82-83 degrees farenheit.

Eweezyfosheezy said:
andreasvatne said:
andreasvatne said:
Eweezyfosheezy said:
andreasvatne said:

I wouldnt keep the two males together.

Ok, Ill have to do something about that, your reason? And I have kept them in the same enclosure, but I can see that they sometimes enjoy eachothers company, but other times no. I do not know if they have been together for a long time since I have not had them since they were born and only about 1 and half months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.