I'm about to lose Deasil -and- my cat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FWishbringer

5 Year Member
So my cat and tortoise are both quite ill.

Tortoise has been doing great up until last week when it had a friend over. My friend received their sulcata the same day, from the same clutch. He was visiting for a few days, so his sulcata did too. (His tortoise is far far more active than mine, and frequently flips, so extended stay means tortoise comes too, otherwise it'd probably suffocate itself.)

I noticed his was bullying mine a bit, so had to add a makeshift divider to keep them separate. Unfortunately, mine decided to stop eating or drinking since the other one wouldn't let it.

Daily soaks, offerings of food, even tried to force them to take small sips. He keeps spitting it back out.

Regarding my non-tortoise, my cat whom I've had for over a decade has been in declining health for the last 5 months. The cat also decided to stop eating and drinking right about the same time (a day before), but for unrelated reasons.

A trip for everyone to the vet resulted in 'poor' prognosis for everyone. The tortoise, even with soaking and attempts to force sips has become too dehydrated. No signs of infection or impaction. It received a small subq injection of saline with a small dose of nutriets, which I was told 'if anything will bring it around this will'. No such luck. The vet said it won't make it more than a day or two if the fluid injection doesn't help. It's been 4, and as of today still alive, but quite limp, and no longer even attempting to open its eyes.

As a note regarding vets, Ehrlich Animal Hospital in Tampa, FL has a doctor on staff that handles herp well. I had to reschedule a day later so that I could see them. It also has a staff doctor that handles wild and 'exotics', including working with big cats, foxes, etc.

As per my cat, all blood levels were fine, and on further testing, he has a mass in his chest. The vet said it looks like lung cancer. Because of it, its gotten to the point its affecting breathing and almost prevents eating. His diet is now forced nutrical and water in small doses several times a day.

The vet said my cat may last a week or two, month at the most.

---

As I really would like to raise a sulcata, and have been plagued with small illnesses and scares from day one, would I be better off adopting a year old juvenile? The friend who also received one when I did has had no problems other than his wanting to flip itself, even in less ideal conditions. I have a sneaking suspicion, on seeing how both have grown and developed, that my little one was born with a short predetermined destiny.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Belchertown Ma
Oh my what a very sad story. I was sorry to read it. You have to decide when your poor kittys quality of life is not there. and your tort. I feel for you.We all eventually have to face some tough times. Stay strong.
Na

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I am so sorry to read this! I have never had a severely ill tortoise, but we just had to put one of our cats to sleep a few weeks ago after she was diagnosed with FeLV (feline leukemia) and Lymphosarcoma.

She did not respond to treatment (over $1,000 later), and despite both our, and our vet's, hard efforts, she no longer had any chance of improvement, and her quality of life was very poor.

It was an extremely hard decision to make, but it was in the best interest of the cat, as it was not fair to her to let her continue to suffer without any hope, at all, of getting better even the slightest bit. She had very labored breathing, and her lungs were continuously filling up with fluid (at one point, they drained more than 92 cc's out of just one lung!).

While our cat was sick, she still drank a little water once in a while on her own, but refused to eat anything. I took canned cat food and put it in the blender to make it into a liquid. For each meal, I mixed a little cup of that with some Nutri-Cal and syringe fed her (twice a day). This also kept her hydrated. Maybe you can try this with your cat as well.

I wish you luck with both your kitty and your tortoise!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I'm very, very sorry to hear about your critters. I will be praying for all of you!

M

Maggie Cummings

I am very sorry about what is happening to you. But you know we talk about quarantining any animal you are bring home. I would never put another tortoise with mine. But none of that makes you feel any better I know. You would be better off adopting a yearling or older from a rescue. Hatchings are very fragile and should be left to those with a lot of experience with them. So try a yearling you will enjoy one I'm sure.
About your cat...I lost my Big Bubba a while ago and it was as hard as anything I have ever done. So I know how you feel and I am very sorry. Nothing I can say will make you feel any better but hold your cat and try to give him comfort as he goes thru this. He is very scared too. I feel for you both...

FWishbringer

5 Year Member
Sigh. I lost Deasil. Sometime in the last hour he passed.

Regarding the quarantining, maggie, I've seen mine and his almost daily since we got them. I know neither has shown any signs of infections, and my little one was given a failing for 'unknown causes' by the vet.. no blood work was done since the vet said he was too dehydrated already and that taking any blood could lower his b/p to the point of death (though was prepared to do the blood work if Deasil bounced back with the fluid/nutrient injection). The vet did give me a positive review on my care, and said I did everything right.

Mine's been very frail, my friend's has been very robust. As I saw in the thread related to Buddy, regarding a tortoise laying many eggs in the hopes that one will make it, I believe my friend's is the one. Mine has had scare after scare since I got him, trying to stop eating, sometimes avoiding drinking, often lethargic... even though I've kept the most ideal conditions possible.

Tomorrow I'll take care of burial, as its almost 1am.

Regarding Booger (my cat), he's lost more weight. He still refuses food or water, and I'm still forcing small amounts of both (nutrical and 'rescue food' mixed with water so I can syringe to his mouth). He's definitely not improving. He's slowed his decline, so I'm hoping he can maintain a positive standard of living a while longer. I know his time is coming soon though.

On a side note, we've had no fish resurface this year in our pond (which contained mollys and platys), so the cold must have gotten the ones that usually torpor. I've had no emotional bond to them, so its not as big a loss. I do miss our red eared slider that disappeared a few years ago that lived with them (and used them as a primary diet). If Booger passes, it will be the first time I've had no 'pets' (most would be better classed as 'owners') in ~27 years. I'm 30.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am so sorry. These things are just so hard to go thru. please understand I know how awful it is for you. I feel so bad for you. And now your cat too, just what a horrible time for you...

danielledelynn

5 Year Member
Buffalo, NY
I am so sorry for your loss. As you know, my boyfriend and I lost Buddy just two days ago. Deasil and Buddy's condition seemed very similar, so I think what people are saying, regarding huge clutches of eggs with only a small number to make it on to thrive the rest of their life...is true. We literally gave Buddy our all, emotionally and physically in his little tort environment, and from reading your post, I can tell you did the same for your little Deasil too. Nick and I are definitely going to get a tortoise again, and hopefully soon (it is just killing me to see the empty spot in the living room where Buddy's enclosure used to sit)...but when we do, we're not going to get one so young, because we're so afraid of going through that again. Just think though, if it makes you feel any better (it does for me)...Buddy and Deasil are right next to each other, up in tortoise heaven, smiling down on us and thanking us for doing everything we could for them...and grazing in green pastures filled with Buddy's favorite yellow dandelions. They're probably also doing a "happy tail wag" right now...I like to think so. They're in a safer place now, where no illness can ever hurt them again....RIP little men.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Another heartbreaking loss...so sorry for what you are suffering right now...I do feel that one of the "advantages" of tortoises is the prospect of them living longer than you do, so you never have to say good-bye...cats and dogs are such sweet pets and it's always so hard to let them go just when they become a permanent fixture in your life. Even though you know it's coming it just agonizes you to accept the separation.

Please accept my condolences.

FWishbringer

5 Year Member
Booger died about an hour ago now, in my arms. I've finally regained composure enough to post it on the forums I go to. As soon as the sun comes up, I'll take care of burial.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I am glad you were able to hold him as he went out...he was not alone, and I'm sure that gave him comfort.

So sorry.

M

Maggie Cummings

As hard as that was for you, I am glad you were holding your cat as he passed. You gave him comfort when he needed it the most.
The day after my Big Bubba passed someone gave me a kitten. I would not have gotten one so soon on my own. But she had made the mourning period a lot easier. Kittens make you laugh and feel better. You might try it...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry about Booger. Please accept my condolences.

Status
Not open for further replies.