I'm New.

caite834

Hi, I'm Jessica and I was just wondering if getting a Russian Tortoise is a realistic option for living in Minnesota?

Anthony32

• Keeping them out side year round is a no. I live in Syracuse NY and we get 120 inches of snow a year I know Minnesota gets cold there so you'd have to have a place inside as long as you have a good heat lamp you should be good......think of this you set the thermostat in your house so the heat lamp will do the rest and make sure you have a UV balb so the tort gets essential vitamins from the light

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jessica welcome to the TFO From AZ . We have a lot of people on here from your state that have torts . But have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jessica, and welcome to the Forum!!

I see no reason why you can't have a Russian tortoise in Minnesota. They hibernate, so a cold winter wouldn't bother him at all. You would just have to learn about hibernating this species before the end of the year.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Kaitlynn

Minnesota, USA
Hi Jessica,
I live in Minne'snow'ta as well with my Russian. I just give my little guy as much good weather time outside as much as possible and when winter comes around he will try to hibernate anyways. There is nothing unrealistic about it! :) Good luck!! :)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Welcome from WI! WI probably doesn't get nearly as bad as MN but close enough, and I have a Russian! Just let him get his exercise outside when weather permits and make sure he has a lot of space and correct lighting when he's inside! :) You'll love it here!