Impressed Tortoise Book recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
Is there a book that is written well for someone who wants to learn more about the care and housing for Impressed tortoises?

I have done some reading online and find them very interesting. When it came to learning about box turtles I found the books much more informative than anything I read online. I was wondering if there are any books you Impressed tortoise experts can recommend?

Just in case you were wondering I WILL NEVER HOUSE SEPARATE SPECIES TOGETHER. Just to get that problem out of the way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good luck in your search for a book on Impressed tortoises...far as I know, there isn't such a thing.

It has only been a very few short years since anyone has had any luck at all in keeping them alive in captivity.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I just got through looking until I am blue in the face and I can't find one anywhere.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have never seen more than a mention of their name in a book.There are some papers online though. World Chelonian Trust, chelonia.org, Turtle Survival Alliance, turtlesurvival.org, San Diego Zoo, sandiegozoo.org, The Conservation Biology Of Tortoises, iucn.org, CTTC, tortoise.org, which I believe has the most up to date information,and they have several papers. Len ---sorry can't add the links--

EricIvins

5 Year Member
There isn't one......Care for a CBB Impressa is no different than other Manouria though.......

wildak

5 Year Member
I found a book a few years ago online but it was'nt available in english and cost a couple hundred dollars. It covered all Manouria. I don't know if it talked about there captive care or not.
I just tried to find it again and had no luck though. I will keep looking for it.

They are thought to have similar care to other Manouria with a few exceptions. But I think we all still have a lot to learn.

Some key points are:
- They climb like monkeys ( way more than N. American Wood turtles ) so make sure if you have like 4 together that the sides of the enclosure are taller than the length of all four together. I had a few escapes before I seen them forming a ladder 5 high.
- They don't seem to like temps at or above 80f. and almost seem to pant or breath really heavy at higher temps.
- They like to hide under logs and forest floor material such as leaves and moss.
- Very high humidity or damp. I used a rain maker and fogger and they love it. Moss helps prevent mold issues. I also keep a dry area for them though.
- I use a uv light on a small area but they usually don't use it. They live in dense forests so they tend to like the shade.
- Feed is similar to other Manouria or Redfoot .

Bryan

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
There is a digital book with an english version that has them in it, along with all other tortoises. It is expensive, ,,,Turtles Of The World, ISBN# 90-75000-82-0, Len

Status
Not open for further replies.