Improving grass in sulcata enclosure

Yellowwubiedog

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
I have an adult sulcata with a large grassy run that I had originally planted with seed for sulcatas. He has lived there 10 years and has selectively eaten to extinction his favorite grasses and other grasses have moved in.
When I reseed, do I have to till up what is growing now or just broadcast over?

Baconbear27

5 Year Member
AZ
No one ever answered you, and I’m wondering the same thing now. I’m in AZ and thinking about planting around February. What did you end up doing? I’m sorry you didn’t get any help when you needed it.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It’s always best to dethatch a bit, slightly break the soil & then scatter the seed. It’s perfect grass growing season now. Seed & keep well moistened for a good week. It should sprout & grow quickly.

Hopefully, you can partition off the newly seeded area from the old space. Similar to grazing cattle/sheep. Create zones of growing & grazing.

Yell if you have any questions.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If the existing weeds/grasses that he won't eat are growing well, it's best to remove as much of them as possible before reseeding so the new seed isn't competing with the already established "undesirables". If its more on the barren side or without large weeds/grasses, you could probably get away with overseeding.

Baconbear27

5 Year Member
AZ
It’s always best to dethatch a bit, slightly break the soil & then scatter the seed. It’s perfect grass growing season now. Seed & keep well moistened for a good week. It should sprout & grow quickly.

Hopefully, you can partition off the newly seeded area from the old space. Similar to grazing cattle/sheep. Create zones of growing & grazing.

Yell if you have any questions.
Thank you so much! He’s got a decent amount of grass, it’s just looking barren. I was worried that we still have to go through our winter, would that grass hold through if I start now?
If I couldn’t partition off, is that bad? If he ate seed while he was grazing… wouldn’t it just come out… fertilized?? More importantly, after buying the proper seed, I just want to make sure if consumed, it won’t hurt my guy

Attachments

• 52545171-807C-473B-8314-F5E5F0679017.jpeg
    52545171-807C-473B-8314-F5E5F0679017.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi an welcome...I am no expert by any means, but I have had Sulcata for a number of years and I live in the PNW, it's done nothing but rain for the last few days so my Sulcata pens are in trouble as far as the tortoise gets a mouthful of grass gives it a yank and it comes out by the soggy roots...I have made 3 pens so that 2 pens are resting while the third is being eaten. I have a 4 pronged thing that kinda breaks up the soil...so I use that and then I over seed...then I cover it all with screens and lattice and finish off with 2 large Crepe Myrtle branches all in the hopes some seed will take if the birds can't eat it all...
100_6258.JPG
100_0803.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I forgot to say in addition to the grazing done... I also feed larger Sulcata locally grown grass hay thru the winter...look at your local feed store...