Indents on Shell?

PrayPeaceGod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Naples, Florida
Long time no see! :cool:

I'm a bit stumped right now regarding my tortoise's shell. He's a nine-year-old Russian (very small for his size, about five inches width and length). He seemed quite skinny when I got him; perhaps it was because he was sharing a cage with a Redfoot and they didn't share very well. He has a tremendous appetite, likewise, and I noticed that he's almost gotten too . . . heavy :D so I'm trying to watch his weight and experiment with new foods. Before, I gave him kale, some carrots, and a powder form of either protein or calcium (each day it would switch). Instead of kale, I've switched to a mix of kale and dandelion leaves (which he LOVES :p), and I tried a mix of edible flowers and he was a little indifferent towards them. Anywho, I was giving my little tort a bath today and I noticed something very peculiar about his shell ... on the hip-area of his shell there are two identical indents on each side. I looked it up online and apparently he could be experiencing some sort of calcium deficiency? It's a little worrying, because I feed him calcium every other day of the week, so ...
1. what exactly his wrong with him?
2. does he need more calcium (I give him a tiny sprinkle of it everyday on his food; probably like 1/6 of a spoonful or less)?
3. will his shell ever be smooth again?

I heard that there's something called a calcium block or something. When I first got him, though, the seller said that powder was definitely a better opinion. He seemed fine until today. :(

By the way, December 26th of this year will be my tortoise's and I first-year anniversary!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lauren:

Can we see a picture of the spots you're concerned about?

Does your tortoise ever get any outdoor time?

PrayPeaceGod

5 Year Member
Naples, Florida
Yvonne G said:
Hi Lauren:

Can we see a picture of the spots you're concerned about?

Does your tortoise ever get any outdoor time?

Hey, I'm trying to get some pictures of him but he's being really squirmish and honestly, the indents are very difficult to see. They feel almost as if someone pressed down on his shell for too long and created a finger-indent.

Anyways, on the (second) picture, a zoomed in picture of his shell, I noticed something ... there is a little RED mark on his shell that is outlined in black? It's very faint but I see something of that sort? Do you?

And yes! He goes outside very often. We live in a very sunny/tropical climate, so he really enjoys talking walks on our gated patio. :)

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 2013-11-24 17.20.37.jpg
    2013-11-24 17.20.37.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 2013-11-24 17.22.22.jpg
    2013-11-24 17.22.22.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I really can't help you. Just want to say he is beautiful

Oh, and I see nothing to be alarmed about.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see anything wrong with that shell.

PrayPeaceGod

5 Year Member
Naples, Florida
Yvonne G said:
I don't see anything wrong with that shell.

Okay, okay. Maybe I'm just over-reacting. But I swear his shell feels different! Thank you for replying, though. :)

wellington said:
I really can't help you. Just want to say he is beautiful

Oh, and I see nothing to be alarmed about.

It's ok! And thank you so much :p