Indian Roofed turtle-Shell patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinodmenonm

5 Year Member
Have Indian roofed turtle which I got straying... Initially it had red evident marks on its vertebra.. But nowadays, its started developing patches on its shells.. and the red is somewhat getting dull... Can you help me what the issue could be..

Attachments

• _DSC0035.JPG
    _DSC0035.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 71

Gerards

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
vinodmenonm said:
Have Indian roofed turtle which I got straying... Initially it had red evident marks on its vertebra.. But nowadays, its started developing patches on its shells.. and the red is somewhat getting dull... Can you help me what the issue could be..

Getting old isn't easy, so I've heard.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gerards: Are you saying its just an older turtle and there's nothing wrong?

arotester

5 Year Member
hi vinod,
first thing i would say that you should have put it back where he came from,but as you have taken him in ,you should take it's responsibility.
The red and black marks that you are referring to is normal growth pattern of this turtle and this will get darker and darker as he grows, as he is still a juvenile.Also, i think he has a shell rot which you need to treat ASAP(the thing about shell rot is just my opinion and you should wait for other people to comment on that).
How long have you had him and how are you keeping it(i mean the habitat)?

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
arotester said:
hi vinod,
first thing i would say that you should have put it back where he came from,but as you have taken him in ,you should take it's responsibility.
The red and black marks that you are referring to is normal growth pattern of this turtle and this will get darker and darker as he grows, as he is still a juvenile.Also, i think he has a shell rot which you need to treat ASAP(the thing about shell rot is just my opinion and you should wait for other people to comment on that).
How long have you had him and how are you keeping it(i mean the habitat)?

This does look like an older specimen, as Gerard alluded to, not a juvenile, as you suggest. Males of this species stay relatively small.

It does not look like rot, but rather just some aging signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.