Indian Star pooping out tiny Ramshell snails?

Lrodmyre

Location (City and/or State)
Lindstrom, MN
Since yesterday, my 1-1/2 year old female Indian Star has tiny Ramshorn snails in her poop.

Shes been in a vivarium since I got her a year ago. I'm assuming some kind of food had snail eggs on it and she ate them?

How do I get rid of them, or will they just run their course and be gone?

Thanks for your help! Never seen this before!20200315_174504.jpgoil

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh for cryin' out loud! I've never seen that before!!!

This is one good reason that folks should wash the produce even BEFORE you put it away in the fridge. I doubt it was eggs because the stomach juices would kill off any young snails that hatch, and those shells are not from YOUNG or baby snails. Are you sure the viv doesn't have a healthy population of snails?

Lrodmyre

Lindstrom, MN
I've looked and haven't found anything. I can take it apart and start new. I do have another baby in there also and that baby's poop doesnt have any snails in it. I soak them everyday, and they poop everyday in the water so I check everyday.

I have organic soil and then Reptibark on the top inch or so.

Should I totally take it apart and start new?

What do I do about the snails in the poop?

I'm with you, I've never seen this before.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, since the shells aren't broken or crushed, the tortoise is not getting the benefit of the calcium in the shells. And it looks like there's still snail bodies inside the shells. If it were me and my enclosure, I would just leave it and see if it doesn't run its course.