Indian Star Scutes Problem

AmirMajlessi

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have only just joined it.

I have had an female Indian Star for 10 years now but a couple of weeks ago I noticed the scutes on her belly where becoming loose, you could put your nail under it etc. When I took her to the vet he broke off the loose scutes and advised that loose scutes should be broken off as if stuff gets stuck underneath them it could lead to infection. I have also been applying diluted tamodine to the effected area. However today I have noticed more loose scutes in the same area - I broke them off but I am unsure what to do and how to avoid this continuing to happen. I have attached images of the affected area. Please help.

IMG_3730.JPG IMG_3729.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What substrate are you using, and how wet is it?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
could we see a picture of your enclosure? And a full view the the tortoise above and below? As Yvonne asks, the type of substrate, how moist, and any dishes, rocks, basking areas provided? It looks like abrasion that has been going on a while. Does she get outdoor time? if so what does that enclosure look like? What are the high and low temperatures in her enclosure and the humidity?

AmirMajlessi

London
The substrate is a mix of tortoise terrain (sterilised top soil, sand and lime stone) and herbifloor (compressed grass pellets). We also have wooden logs and a slate in there which I was told would help run down her nails and beak but I don't think it's had any effect, but it's been there for 2 years so I don't think it caused this. I have a humidity meter in the vivarium and it often reads around 50%. We give her baths weekly and have a large pool of water in one corner which she will often sit in. We let her outside only during summer/spring as too cold in uk during winter/autumn. The basking area is 90 F with a 5-10 F drop at night.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
The shell looks healthy but damaged/chipped. Either abrasion or a fall/drop. Is there another tortoise there or object she is trying to mount/breed with?

Just saw you pictures now as I am writing this - you do have what look like three large rocks in the front of the enclosure that is probably causing that. The water dish is also not very good for getting in and out of. The substrate is a very poor choice and not good for the overall health. The enclosure is way too small for a tortoise that size. she needs some plants to make her feel more comfortable. Star tortoise spend most of their time pushed under bushes or tufts of grass.

Please read this thread for

To give you an idea - here is a new enclosure I just finished this last week for a few of my stars. You can see the type of water and food dish I use as well as the substrate.

IMG_0135.JPG

AmirMajlessi

London
What substrate is used there and what would be decent dimensions for that size?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What substrate is used there and what would be decent dimensions for that size?
That enclosure is 4' x 8' and 30" tall. I use orchid bark (which is fir bark) in a fine grade. It holds moisture very well while allowing the very top layer to dry out a bit. It is extremely resistant to mold. Since orchids are popular to grow world-wide, I would think you could find it at a garden center somewhere around your area??