Indian Star tortoise HELP!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Ferretinmyshoes said:
Yep, there are more coming!

4B510487-A957-40FF-8611-4537D02B9CD4-10266-00000C29F7C765F6_zps01b7e328.jpg

Her bone density is good but not great so she's going on heavy calcium supplementation.

I just started following this thread. What a great rescue story! What will you do with the hatchlings? Just curious as to whether it's possible to introduce them to the wild, even if they're born in captivity.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] & Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] (Darwin & Wallace)
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
Well we'll see if they're even fertile first after she lays them. It sure would be nice to try to get some babies back into their native environment to help the wild population. I'd have to find a remote location where ornates are confirmed to be living. There is a research group that does a lot of work with our native ornates so if they hatch I'd probably start with contacting them. They'd have to be healthy and not ever exposed to any other turtles or torts of course to prevent transmitting anything to wild ones. Maybe it would be better if they were a few years old to have a better chance at surviving to adulthood, or maybe not? We'll see! First things first - she needs to lay them. :)

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow, never saw an x-ray like that!
Do they take it from over head through the back?
Ann from CT

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
WOW what an amazing story... That is the first time I have ever seen a tortoise X-Ray. But glad that Lucy has a great home now. :)

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
That is a very good idea,just make sure that they will be safe,its amazing with the 4 eggs...so visible

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Ferretinmyshoes said:
Well we'll see if they're even fertile first after she lays them. It sure would be nice to try to get some babies back into their native environment to help the wild population. I'd have to find a remote location where ornates are confirmed to be living. There is a research group that does a lot of work with our native ornates so if they hatch I'd probably start with contacting them. They'd have to be healthy and not ever exposed to any other turtles or torts of course to prevent transmitting anything to wild ones. Maybe it would be better if they were a few years old to have a better chance at surviving to adulthood, or maybe not? We'll see! First things first - she needs to lay them. :)

Right, eggs then babies, first. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
AnnV said:
Wow, never saw an x-ray like that!
Do they take it from over head through the back?
Ann from CT

Yep, she was just sitting on the X-ray table so it was taken from top to bottom. She didn't even know anything was happening. I think X-ray images are so cool! And you can see the eggs so perfectly in turtles and tortoises. Thanks all for compliments and support! Hopefully the next big update will be eggs in the incubator. :D

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Yeah...let us know how its going.
How many years.have u been a vet?

it's beautiful if you can help animals

cynthia_085

5 Year Member
Colorado U.S.A
WOW! Those are 4 eggs. When she laid the first one here (at my house) it was not a very sturdy egg. By this I mean she laid it, but it had a big hole (at the bottom) where there was not enough egg shell to cover the baby. I was not sure if it was fertile or infertile as it came out disoriented and gooey. I am glad you are putting her on a high calcium diet. I also added calcium to her food as it was apparent she needed it. Please keep us posted. I would love to see more pics of her. She is lovely. :) I loved the X-Ray all her toes and nails came out perfectly.

Also just to add in case this information proves useful; her first egg was the shape of a bean with no bottom. Not sure how box turtles eggs look like when they hatch, but it was not round it was in the shape of a pinto bean...

Jabuticaba said:
Ferretinmyshoes said:
Yep, there are more coming!

4B510487-A957-40FF-8611-4537D02B9CD4-10266-00000C29F7C765F6_zps01b7e328.jpg

Her bone density is good but not great so she's going on heavy calcium supplementation.

I just started following this thread. What a great rescue story! What will you do with the hatchlings? Just curious as to whether it's possible to introduce them to the wild, even if they're born in captivity.

Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
Thanks Cynthia for that extra info! I suspect she probably dropped an egg prematurely due to stress. I've seen turtles drop eggs like that before when they've transferred homes. The ones you can see on the x-ray appear normal shape and size. They look to have a good shell density, but might still have a little time to go before she lays them.

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
And they're out!

AC64382B-1707-4CB0-A87D-E3C55C707BA7-22275-0000199E5B28850D_zpse8e8f642.jpg

Their color isn't promising for being fertile...since her history is a mystery who knows whether or not she was with a male. I'll incubate them just in case though. I hope they're fertile!

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
This is wonderfull! Let us know if they hatch or not

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
How long do they take?

Ann from CT

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Ferretinmyshoes said:
And they're out!

Their color isn't promising for being fertile...since her history is a mystery who knows whether or not she was with a male. I'll incubate them just in case though. I hope they're fertile!

WAHOO! Keeping all fingers and (Aussie) paws crossed for your eggs. [TURTLE][TURTLE]

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] @ YWG
Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE]& Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE]

cynthia_085

5 Year Member
Colorado U.S.A
HI :)
How is she doing?
They look big. How big are they?
I hope they are fertile! Keep us posted :)

Jabuticaba said:
Ferretinmyshoes said:
And they're out!

WAHOO! Keeping all fingers and (Aussie) paws crossed for your eggs. [TURTLE][TURTLE]

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] @ YWG
Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE]& Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE]