indoor boxie pen question - dealing with fruit flies

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbus, Ohio
hello all! a question for those of you who might house your boxies indoors (mine have great pens, lighting, substrate, access to fresh clean water, etc. and are fed a variety of items from www.aboxturtle.com's feeding lists).

since it's gotten warm, i'm having trouble with fruit flies in the boxie pens. has anyone else had and successfully addressed this problem?

(a note: i feed my boxies in the a.m. before work and leave their food with them during the day. not all of them get going in the a.m. off the bat so i leave food for those who prefer to sleep a bit later).

chadk

10 Year Member!
Probably not fruit flies. forget the name though. You can try to put a jar out of apple cider vinegar + a drop of dish soap. This can be really effective on real fruit flies, and somewhat effective on the substrate flies.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
I have gnats in my enclosures. I let them live because while they are larvae they eat algae and do a great job of it. Plus when the molt and have to float on the surface of the water while their exoskeletons harden my turtle eats them. Win/Win

earthyman71

5 Year Member
Columbus, Ohio
thanks chadk and rhyno47! they don't bother the boxies at all but perhaps there's a win in capturing some via the jar and letting the others participate in the life cycles of the pen :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Phorid flies. To get rid of them, you must remove either their moisture, substrate or food.

Status
Not open for further replies.