Permit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
I live on the Indiana/ Kentucky border (on the IN side) and my state requires that I apply for a free permit if I ever want to adopt a boxie that is native to IN. All I need to get the permit is a note from a vet saying its healthy, a visit from the department of natural resources to assure that my outdoor habitat is relatively escape proof, and proof that the box turtle was legally acquired. That last bit really has me stumped; the boxie that I am considering adopting has been with its current owners for 16 years and they no longer have proof of where their turtle came from. Anyone have any experience in getting the boxies properly papered? I have contacted the appropriate governmental bodies in IN and KY with my question, but both states appear to be ignoring me. Does anyone have any experience in this area?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Where are the current owners Mike?

Danny

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
The current owners are in KY. Although, it seems as though I was a little impatient with the IN DNR... a couple hours after I posted this I finally got a response from the state of IN. It turns out that all I need to "prove" the turtle was legally acquired is a signed, dated note from the current owners stating that they bought the turtle 16 years ago. It also needs to include the common name, scientific name, etc, but it seems that the burden of proof is pretty low in my particular situation. Needless to say, I will be keeping a copy of that email from the IN DNR to cover my rear if problems arise.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Wow...it's so much easier in NY. You just pay $10 for a permit/license to own and/or collect.
terry i have two questions maybe you can help me with, 1st ?
permit how and where do i aquire a permit in NY for a box turtle permit?
2nd ? what is the difference between an ornate boxie and an eastern boxie also 3 toe boxies included? mainly the ornate i would like to know about.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/lcp.pdf

Here's where you can apply in New York.
These are the differences that I have personally found between the Eastern, Ornate, and Three Toed.
The Eastern and Three Toed are very similar in their care, and what they eat. The Eastern's will come out in the early morning to eat, warm up, and go in the pond. Then they either go in the cave, dig under a shrub, or sit under a low plant in the shade until the afternoon when the sun starts going down. Then they come out to eat again.
The Three Toed's usually do the same, but they will sit in the pond for much longer periods of time. They really love the water.
The Ornate will sit in the sun almost all day, go in the water for a little bit, just to cool off and then go sit in the sun again. They seem to love the hot sun. If it gets too hot, they will sit under a hosta, but they usually never go in their cave until night time. Then they go dig under in the cave until the next day. They also eat more worms, crickets, slugs, snails.....they love the live protein the best. Mine will eat an occasional piece of fruit, mostly cantaloupe, or honeydew, but if I want her to eat any veggies or greens, I have to mix it with mazuri or canned venison. She has always been a fussy eater, even when she was younger, preferring the live stuff over anything else. In my opinion, the Ornate is much harder to care for. The Eastern's and Three Toed's seem to be more hardy, and they prefer humid, over cast almost wet weather. The Ornate seems to like a more dryer, environment, with humid places to hide. This is only what I have observed with mine in the past thirty years. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.