Indoor heat?

scottishscott

5 Year Member
Hello all. It's been awhile since I last posted. Things have been going so good with Rhino that I had no questions. Winter is upon us now and I have brought him indoors. He has grown to big for an enclosure in our house but, I can keep an eye on him and take better care of him this way.

My question is, would anyone have any suggestions for safely providing him a nice toasty spot inside the home. I thought about one of the little oil filled radiator heaters. They sound as if they are pretty safe as far as a fire hazard. Of course I know I will have to make a containment area for the heater so Rhino cannot get to it but, still feel the heat. I would love to hear some other suggestions. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Take a look at some of Tom's night box builds. He shows exactly how he protects his heater from the tortoise.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use an oil filled radiator heater. I line the bottom of it with cinder blocks so Scooter can't get to it.

scottishscott

5 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestions but, what I was hoping was that someone let their sully roam freely in the house as well. He has his areas he likes more but, they are a little chilly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the suggestions but, what I was hoping was that someone let their sully roam freely in the house as well. He has his areas he likes more but, they are a little chilly.

Its not safe to let them roam the house and its too cold. They need their own enclosure with the right temps. Some people use outdoor sheds and some people convert their basements into a tortoise enclosure.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Scooter has a portion of the basemental blocked off with wooden boards for walls. The floor is lined with rubber mats and he has the oil radiator heater with heat lamps for basking.