Indoor juvenile desert tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoke_kush

5 Year Member
sulcatas do look very similar to desert tortoises. do they share the same diet? which one gets bigger?

M

Maggie Cummings

I'd be interested in knowing if they are still alive and how they are doing. They both look very dry. I have always kept my DT's in a more humid atmosphere. But that's just me and I am not trying to start a debate and I mean no disrespect...they are my most favorite species. They are a sweet out going tort but not pushy like Sulcata. Sulcata get bigger than Gopherus agassizii...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, Chelonogist, I would like an update on your babies too.

Yvonne

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
purpod said:
I've always been a tad nervous about the impaction possibilities with my rep's {'specially my beardie, since he frequently misses the cricket he's going for - at least on his first try ;) lol} which is why I always use/recommend the Calci-Sand types of sand. No worries about impaction there; plus {and yes, I am aware this sounds very shallow, lol} it comes in the color purpod! :cool:

Purpod

Hi...I used to use the calci sand until 2 of my geckos got impacted & one of them died. Plus, when I worked at the vet hospital we had several dragons come in with calci sand impaction. They, as well as tortoises lick the calci sand to eat the calcium and eat the sand with the calcium. There have been a lot of problems with impaction WITH the calci & repti sand. I use textured slate for my lizards. Play sand with cypress is what I use for most of my tortoises. I feed them on a piece of slate or from a dish.
Patsy

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Maybe he doesn't leave a dish in there all the time...I didn't notice that until you pointed it out either. Maybe he's just trying to recreate nature or something?

his torts don't look worse for ware...you can even see new shell growth on Brutus, and neither of them have pyramiding....I'm interested to know the answer.

I think we are all learning here, that different doesn't necessarily mean wrong...

Status
Not open for further replies.