Indoor substrate?

Rhea

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Can I use this as a substrate? It’s organic raised bedding potting soil. It had me thinking? I need to change out substrate and my husband bought me this stuff for my raised flower bed and I have it left over. Would it have little critters in it? I don’t want bugs, fleas, or mites to hatch out!!!

Attachments

• 79EB2BAE-D6A8-42C0-85DA-8BDD171889C2.jpeg
    79EB2BAE-D6A8-42C0-85DA-8BDD171889C2.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 32

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Read the ingredients. Its probably got additives and fertilizers in it. I for sure wouldn't use that, but I wouldn't use any bought in the bag soil either. THere is no way to know what composted material it is made of. Might be composted mulberry leaves, or it might be oleander, azalea and pesticide treated grass clippings. No way to know.

I see a little russian in your avatar. Coco coir is good for little russians, and I switch to fine grade orchid bark for them once they reach a little over 3 inches.

The bugs in the substrate don't come from the substrate. They come from the surrounding environment and they colonize the substrate because we keep it damp and warm for them, and they dine on the leftover food and scraps left behind.