Indoor tortises??

Ryananimation

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hi, I'm a new member and I'm also a newbie when it comes to tortoises. I have been researching multiple types of tortoises for the past year but haven't really found which one I would like to get. I live in central il and our weather is very unpredictable. I'm looking for a tortoise that does ok inside most of the year, but I plan to have them outside in the summer. Any suggestions? Size doesn't really matter to me. I also have a very large basement to fit a big enclosure in. I also want to rescue one☺. And I was just wondering is it even possible for any species of tortoise to live indoors year round? When I was reasearching that topic seemed to be very controversial. Thanks!

Lark_Tortoise

5 Year Member
Ct
I would recommend a Russian Tortoise, they aren't too large or too hard to care for (but they are still a huge commitment, don't get me wrong), they can stay inside for a good amount of the year, although it is good for them to get some natural sunlight when it is warmer out.
Here is the care-sheet:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Good luck! I'm glad you are doing your research before you buy a tortoise!:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Greek, russian or eastern hermanni should all work. And you have the option of letting them hibernate while things are frozen outside. All are small enough to live in a large basement enclosure as long as they have the right heating and lighting.

I would build or buy a large closed chamber enclosure for your basement. This will be MUCH easier to heat and humidify to whatever levels you choose.

MickeyMouse

L'Assomption, Quebec, Canada
I live near Montreal, in Quebec province, Canada, our climate is not really tortoise friendly, but there are some tortoise keepers, and I am one of them since a few month, after searching for as much information possible.

It is possible to keep a tortoise mostly inside, some species are better than others inside. My choice was the greek tortoise, I have a testudo graeca marokkensis. The greek is a robust tortoise, and I really love the size, adults reach around 8in, so it's easier to keep them in an indoor enclosure.

It's important to always provide the best conditions to the tortoise, always remember what it needs. Basically, we have to think about food, light and heat.
For the food, in summer I will be able to collect different weeds, but in winter, I must rely on commercial food. I buy many different fresh greens good for greek tortoise, I also offer some mazuri from time to time, and I supplement with vitamins and calcium. For the food, the secret is quite simple, variety, don't aim on one food, the key is to offer many different greens.
Tortoise need heat, that part is easy, a hot spot lamp on day, and if your house is not warm enough at nigh, a ceramic heat emitter with a thermostat is a good solution.
Then the other important need, lighting. The best is natural sunlight, and during warm summer days it's very good to put the tortoise outside to get some natural light. But as it will live mostly inside, you need to add UVB lighting and never neglect it.

So to resume, find a tortoise that is not too large and that is robust, I suggest greek, herman or russian. Also vary the food as much as you can and add vitamins and calcium every week. You need a heating light bulb, and a good UVB light. Finally, take the tortoise outside when the temperature allows it.

Kaliman1962

I have an Ibera Greek, Love her. she lives indoors year round, but gets outside in summer for a while. no hibernation. very friendly, highly recomended

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I live in Chicago and have leopards. A heated shed or a heated pop up greenhouse in the basement works great. I do both.
I have three baby leopards for sale if interested.

Kaliman1962

i bought 2 of Wellington (barb's) babies. They are top notch!!! i'm in Chicago too