Info please

Jenjen1980

I am new to this we had found an abandoned we've had it for awhile now , I have been getting info from a pet shop on how to care for it not sure if it is male or female they say it's an Asian box any info on what it can eat or anything else will be greatly appreciated please

20170128_132550.jpg

yillt

I am new to this we had found an abandoned we've had it for awhile now , I have been getting info from a pet shop on how to care for it not sure if it is male or female they say it's an Asian box any info on what it can eat or anything else will be greatly appreciated please
Hi. Welcome to TFO. firstly, could you please share some pics of his enclosure? Also, what are the temps at the cool and hot end and what is the humidity level? It's suggested that you don't let tortoises walk around on the floor as
1.its cold
2. It's dirty and they could pick up dust bunnys, dirt or prices of plastic etc..
You will get plenty of info from the forum so you've already taken the first step to becoming a wonderful tortoise parent. :D

Jenjen1980

Thank you so much this is what he was in when we found him and the pet shop said it was good for him there is coconut bedding in the bottom they said it was the best for him there's no heat lamp my house stays around 65 to 80 all the time so they told me he would be good that if I used a lamp it might cook him1485629800637-1446073714.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Your pet shop is all wet. He needs a light over one end so he can warm up his inner core.

If it truly is an Asian box turtle, he needs way more water than that. But he sort of looks like a water turtle to me. He hasn't been taken very good care of, and he's a bit deformed, making it hard for me to really know what species he is. Let's send a shout out to @juli11 and @Anthony P and @HermanniChris

If it does turn out to be an Asian box turtle, here's a care sheet:

http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Turtles-Tortoises/Asian-Box-Turtle/

Jenjen1980

Here's some more photos I have been doing everything the pet shop has told me

1485632335743-308750848.jpg 1485632380467-77268790.jpg 1485632445232-1284413628.jpg 14856325340412029499520.jpg 1485632602978706840438.jpg 1485632627141-49515089.jpg 14856327217311781126746.jpg 14856327719711933416643.jpg

yillt

The bedding is good. The tank is to small and he needs more water as Yvonne said. Heat lamps are a necessity and if they are the right temperature and distance they will not 'cook' you tortoise as the shop said. His shell looks a bit out of proportion and deformed which can be helped with the proper care. This is not your fault as the pet shop has been misinforming you which is irresponsible and I would suggest not taking any information from them. You also need to add a hide to that tank. You can get a rubber maid tub cheaply and they are a lot larger. Well done on rescuing him and now all you need to do is correct a few things. Don't be discouraged as everyone is here to help you and your tortoise.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Yeah, this is a Cuora amboinensis. The best thing to do is think of this turtle like a Kinosternon or some other species that is mostly aquatic. These guys should be kept in aquatic enclosures, as they are one of the most aquatic members of the Cuora genus. Your guy has not been kept this way, which is why he is deformed.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Looks like a slightly deformed Cuora Amboinensis. It needs a much larger enclosure. Warm temps. I wouldn't use too deep of water as I don't know how healthy it is. Maybe just enough to cover the shell until you get a better idea of its health.

Disregard enclosure size in the attached care sheet. It is much too small in my opinion.

Read this: http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Camboinensiscare.htm

You'd have to maybe invert the water to land ratio with these.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485636086.553847.jpg ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485636137.631316.jpg

Jenjen1980

Thank you all so much for the help. What about food what all can I feed him I wasn't really sure what kind he was so didn't know what to really feed him

Jenjen1980

And do you tell the sex my son started calling him Bob so we will keep the name I just for myself like to know

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Just saw Anthony responded. Listen to him. He's smarter than me:).
Don't be so modest! You did a great job!

I think this is a male, for sure. Sometimes with these deformed animals it can be tough to tell gender at first glance, because the area around the tail just looks different than what you are used to seeing. Anyway, feel free to keep calling him Bob.

As for food, I would offer a high quality aquatic turtle pellet, like Mazuri, or a mix of high quality pellets would be best, for diversity's sake. They are omnivores, like us, so variety is something to strive for. Besides the pellets, you can supplement with a mix of other items, like non-citrus fruits and veggies, and some meat items, but it is possible that your turtle has already had enough meat, with that shell. A high protein diet and/or too dry of an environment likely caused his deformities.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
I would think a 50 gallon tub would do nicely. Look into 50 gallon rubbermade tubs. They have a great footprint for turtles and can hold 6 or so inches of water quite nicely. The strong and opaque walls won't crack or warp and will reduce stress. Ditch the aquariums all together.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It almost looks like a dried up, old prolapsed penis under the tail. Hard to tell from the picture.

At any rate, Jenjen, water, water and more water!!! This is a highly aquatic terrestrial turtle.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
It almost looks like a dried up, old prolapsed penis under the tail. Hard to tell from the picture.

At any rate, Jenjen, water, water and more water!!! This is a highly aquatic terrestrial turtle.
Oh wow! I didn't notice that protrusion on the photos earlier. I wonder what that is!

Jenjen1980

The ppl at the pet shop said it was where the ppl had him in cedar chips and it would heal on it's own

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
The ppl at the pet shop said it was where the ppl had him in cedar chips and it would heal on it's own

Yeah. I think it's clear now that they aren't very knowledgeable. It may clear up on its own once introduced to a proper habitat.