Ingested Coconut Fibre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirstie

5 Year Member
Afternoon,

My 1 year old Hermann Consuela has somehow eaten some coconut fibre & I'm a bit worried.

I don't know how or why she's eaten it, there is always plenty of fresh food available.

I know she has eaten it as I saw that she had had a poo & it was trailing along behind her which obviously isn't normal. I picked her up & put her in some luke warm water to wash her & noticed that as the poo came away some fibre was still hanging out of her. I very gently tried pulling it but clearly don't want to hurt or distress her so I ended up trimming it down, there was about 4 inches of it.

I don't know what to do, is she ok? Is there anything I could feed her to make her bowels move quicker or should I try soaking her again later or tomorrow?

She seems absolutely fine, she is eating now & has carried on roaming about as normal, it's been about 45 minutes and she doesn't seem bothered.

Please offer any advice or information you have.

Thank you very much.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
Wow, the fiber piece was 4" long? I use the coir and have not had that problem. You did good, I wouldn't pull on it, hopefully it will pass right on out. Sorry I don't have better advice for you! I hope everything *comes* out ok!! :D

Kirstie

5 Year Member
It was only the tiniest of pulls, just to see what was going on, there was no strength to it, would hate to hurt or cause her discomfort.

She seems ok, she's still roaming and eating & isn't bothered. I'll leave her a few hours or until the morning & soak her again.

Thank you for your response, I've never had this happen before. The fibre doesn't seem that big in the house, maybe there's barely any left in her & it will pass tomorrow.

I'm using the proper coir stuff, I read thoroughly into it before buying it.

Thank you 😊

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Hey Kirstie. My baby Sulcatas do that all the time. At 1st I was worried... I think I bombarded Tom with my concerns... but it just passes. I don't think that pulling it out is such a good idea though. Those fibers are pretty tough so I'd be afraid that something could get cut... kinda like dental floss against your gums. **Sorry that was kinda gruesome, but it was my best analogy!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. This is fairly normal. Shouldn't be a problem. I also have this happen sometimes with the midrib of some weeds or with long blades of grass that they seem to eat like spaghetti. As long as you feed on a plate or in a bowl of some sort, a small amount of ingested coco fiber should just pass right through.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Just make sure your tortoise stays well hydrated and it should pass with no issues...

Kirstie

5 Year Member
Wow thank you so much for your advice, i'm quite relieved now! I have had grass do this before but I know it can't be that long so will pass quickly.

Glad my little Consuela is ok, she is a greedy tortoise so it's not surprising she thought she's eat that too! I have 2 food bowls in the house but food always ends up being dragged out but the bedding is good for them so not concerned about that, just fibre getting stuck in them!

The app on my phone wouldn't work and this is the first time i've used the website so hope this posts ok!

Thank you all :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A well hydrated tortoise should pass it with no problems. They will often eat it either by accident or on purpose to see what it tastes like.

Status
Not open for further replies.