Injured Scales

T&T

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi,
My poor boy (about 6) found a way to get stuck in his hide that he has had for over 2 years now. This came with him when I rescued him. I noticed the whole hide was moving and went to check on him and noticed he had jammed himself in there at the perfect angle to get stuck. This has never happened before and I am now replacing his hide. However, after I pulled him out I noticed that he has 2 scales on the back of his front left leg that look very raw and a little bloody. I have an appointment for the vet on tuesday (the soonest they could do without it being urgent care). I'm wondering if I should just take him to urgent care or can he wait for the vet? Is there anything I can do to help keep it clean and prevent any further injury?

Also the picture with the hide is old, he has had a beak trim and a new background (no clear glass anymore).

Thank you in advance for any info!

P.s. he did have enough room to fully do a 360 in the hide, so please don't assume I am mistreating my baby boy.

Attachments

• 20240613_185217.jpg
    20240613_185217.jpg
    695.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240613_205958.jpg
    20240613_205958.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 2

T&T

Texas
I think I posted earlier in wrong sub (I'm sorry if this is against the rules!)

My poor boy (about 6) found a way to get stuck in his hide that he has had for over 2 years now. This came with him when I rescued him. I noticed the whole hide was moving and went to check on him and noticed he had jammed himself in there at the perfect angle to get stuck. This has never happened before and I am now replacing his hide. However, after I pulled him out I noticed that he has 2 scales on the back of his front left leg that look very raw and a little bloody. I have an appointment for the vet on tuesday (the soonest they could do without it being urgent care). I'm wondering if I should just take him to urgent care or can he wait for the vet? Is there anything I can do to help keep it clean and prevent any further injury?

Also the picture with the hide is old, he has had a beak trim and a new background (no clear glass anymore).

P.s. he did have enough room to fully do a 360 in the hide, so please don't assume I am mistreating my baby boy.

Attachments

• 20240613_185215.jpg
    20240613_185215.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240613_205958.jpg
    20240613_205958.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 1

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi,

Hi and welcome!
Others will be along to give advice but for now you got me.
I have seen this before and all you need to do is clean the foot and put a little Neosporin on it. Try to wrap it with the bandage gauze that “sticks to itself”
(Sold at cvs or Walmart places.)
No doctor is needed.
They give wrong info and will suggest shots and unnecessary medications.
For now do this and await others to answer your post. I am fairly sure they will tell you the same thing.
Good luck and DONT WORRY!
He/she will be fine.
Glad you came to the forum!!!!
Oh…. And hugs and kisses also aid in healing ❤️‍🩹 your little one! 😃
🙏❤️🤭

T&T

Texas
Hi and welcome!
Others will be along to give advice but for now you got me.
I have seen this before and all you need to do is clean the foot and put a little Neosporin on it. Try to wrap it with the bandage gauze that “sticks to itself”
(Sold at cvs or Walmart places.)
No doctor is needed.
They give wrong info and will suggest shots and unnecessary medications.
For now do this and await others to answer your post. I am fairly sure they will tell you the same thing.
Good luck and DONT WORRY!
He/she will be fine.
Glad you came to the forum!!!!
Oh…. And hugs and kisses also aid in healing ❤️‍🩹 your little one! 😃
🙏❤️🤭
Thank you thank you!
I am so grateful for the help. Honestly I have learned so much from this forum, it's amazing. It's also drastically increased the well being of this little guy and I am so grateful for it. Thank you for the advice, I will be picking some up first thing tomorrow!
Also I keep telling him "I'm just trying to love you!!" But he wants to do what he wants to do 😆 he is very stubborn but a great little dude and will always get extra loves😄🥰

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I second in that I don’t think you necessarily require a vet visit here😊

I’ve quickly skimmed your previous posts and noticed we don’t really have any information on how you’re keeping this guy which is always super helpful.
Would you mind answering these questions just to make sure your set up is correct?🙂

What size enclosure are you keeping him in? He ideally needs a bare minimum of an 8x4 foot set up to roam, roaming is absolutely vital to the well being of tortoise health, it strengthens their muscles and aids in digestion, they’d walk miles in the wild.

What lights are you using? What is your uv situation?
Your basking area temp? Ambient day temp? Night temp?

For the basking area he needs a incandescent floodlight(pic attached) that needs to be on a 12hour timer, directly under the bulb should be reading 95-100f(36-37c) the rest of the enclosure should ranging 75-80

Night can drop into 60’s

For uv you need a t5 fluorescent tube light, I’d personally recommend the Arcadia brand, it comes with a built in reflector fitting as to not waste any uv light, this needs to be on a separate 4hour timer from noonish mounted about 18-20 inches from the substrate.

Humidity should be 30-50%

I also noticed a few members pointed out this guy could really do with a beak trim, it’s looking quite overgrown, might be worth taking him for a trim, then moving forward, to help his beak naturally wear down, feed him on a large serving slate🙂

Attachments

• IMG_1669.png
    IMG_1669.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1683.png
    IMG_1683.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 1