Injured Tort Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
So I called Animal Control about a Russian Tort that I saw advertised that was being fed fruit loops, kept in a 20 gallon aquarium with no hide and no heat lamp and no substrate, just the glass bottom of the aquarium...

I explained to them that I'm setting up a tort table this weekend, the heat lamp is on order, but that's all I have...

Long story short. They seized the tort because it has been attacked by the owners dog and has part of his shell missing and a little damage to his neck. A vet checked him out and there's no long-term damage but he is missing a chunk of shell and needs salve on his little neck wound.

They want me to come get him :( I'm not ready! I told them that but they said a box in my warm home is better than he has now as long as I have a full setup coming.

Do I go get him? I haven't owned a tort yet but I've been researching for about 5 months. Table's set up this weekend. The heat lamp is supposed to be delivered around Tuesday. Coir isn't in until Friday though. Food's not a problem, I have an organic food store right by me with fresh veggies.

The adoption fee is $65 but I can handle that too.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
If you want to save him, go get him. It is better than the alternative. He should be okay during the temporary situation.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
Do I just stick him in a box in a warm room though with some food and water? I guess I could fashion a hide out of a shoe box or something. I don't have any warm lights.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
Creteloc said:
Do I just stick him in a box in a warm room though with some food and water? I guess I could fashion a hide out of a shoe box or something. I don't have any warm lights.

Any incandescent bulb will do, even just a regular desk lamp would be fine.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
That is what I would suggest. Avoid a drafty area. Give him warm soaks daily and then dry him off before putting him back in his boz since he does not have a heat source yet. When your table is done, he can be put back while wet.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
Ok, I called them back and said I'd take him. He's being transported to another vet right now that specializes in tortoises because only a dog vet has seen him. They won't release him unless that vet says he doesn't need put down =/ That just makes me so sad. They know for certain his shell needs sanded down where it's broken off because the jagged edge is cutting into his flesh. The new vet will take care of that and call me when he's done.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Creteloc said:

GO get him, Tanya. A regular light bulb will give heat.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
He passed inspection and I'm picking him up in an hour. I work in the Elementary schools in Ogden and one donated a big box, another tossed in a blanket, and another gave me a little box he can hide in until he gets his condo set up. I'll take the blanket out when he gets into my warm home. I have the list of foods on my phone and will hit the grocery store after I drop him off at home. I'm a little anxious to see how badly he's hurt.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Please post some pics when you get him, and yes a regular old light bulb (incandescent) can work fine as a temporary solution.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
Here's his temp home. I'm running out to get him food. Right now he's walking into the corner
IMG_5186.jpg

Injury #1
IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_5188.jpg

IMG_5187.jpg

Creteloc

5 Year Member
I'll go find some. The ground is frozen. I'll also get pics of his other shell injury but he is so afraid that I don't want to touch him yet.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
shredded newspaper if you cant find dirt.. cleaner for now until that shell heals a bit..
doesnt look too bad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tanya:

You really lucked out. That's a nice-looking Russian tortoise you've got there.

He just needs some traction in the box rather than the plain old cardboard floor. Even some paper towells would give him more traction (even though he'd mess it up in an instant).

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
some times organic food stores sell organic potting soil. just a thought for bedding. Poor little guy. the fact that you are so worried about him/her shows that you will the best thing that has happened to the little guy. keep us posted on how he is doing.

Creteloc

5 Year Member
I got home from work with some Spring Mix salad and a cuttle bone. Right now he's having a soak but I don't think he likes it. He seems to be trying pretty hard to get out. Oh, and his poop is gloppy brown, course, he's been eating ONLY Fruit Loops. Hope he takes to the endive and raddicchio I gave him.

IMG_5191.jpg

Here's the other injury from the dog chewing on him. It was a German Shepherd too. (btw, I do know how to pick him up but my hand covered the shell damage)

IMG_5197.jpg

Does his beak look normal? It seems chipped to me and his nails are WAY long but I have a nice rock coming tomorrow.

Oh, and I named him Chekov ;)

Well he walked past the veggies and went after the cuttle bone. He's chowing down on it.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
I could be wrong but i think he is in need of a beak trim. I bet he is going to love a real meal... fruit loops... who would even do that? poor guy!

dav3

5 Year Member
Scotland
hi i gotta say your dedication is awesome you are going to make a great tortoise owner

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Wow, what a story! He is in good hands now!. Bless your heart!

Status
Not open for further replies.