Lazy Russian tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreaashby15

5 Year Member
I only got him 5 days ago, and I realize he needs time to adjust. I was just hoping he would be a little more active. I am not being dramatic here either people. He is LAZY. He has wandered around his cage literally twice in 5 days. He lays underneath the heat lamp ALL DAY. Sleeps all day long. Is that normal? I think he's an older tort too. The people I got him from had him for 6 years and he never grew during that time. So he must be over 10 years old.
Is he just being a grumpy, lazy old man or what??

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    888.8 KB · Views: 43

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
well, he is still very new! think of it as if you were living in a new household, you might just sit quietly most of the time. I have had mine since november and he is in the past few days finally eating all of his meal. It took some time for him to become very active, as most russian tortoises are.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Also, remember how you found him. He's finally got a place he can relax in. I you are not soaking him yet, do so, daily. He'll come around. Mine wake-up in the morning, bask, eat, soak, spend the rest of the day sleeping. BTW, Welcome to TFO.

lauren43201

5 Year Member
Crown Point, Indiana
That is how my russian is! I've had him for only about a week, and he basically suns under the heat lamp and burrows. The only activity i see if hes not burrowing around is he gets up when i bring his food. (more like runs) hahahaha. If you aren't soaking him, i would recommend it, Donatello soaks for about 5 minutes a day. :) Oh and welcome to the forum! :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Definitely give him time. From your other post, his life has been pretty bad. He probably knows that he really needs UV so is soaking it up.
Also, they tend to be quieter in winter, and in a new enclosure (even if it is better!). Two of my females were pretty quiet last Spring after I got them, but once they were outside a lot, they have been very different (although quieter again now).
I have 4, and they couldn't be more different in their behavior, also week to week.
Just give him good care with the soaks, his new home with UV, and offer a variety of greens. As Summer approaches, he will come around.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Utah Lynn said:
Also, remember how you found him. He's finally got a place he can relax in. I you are not soaking him yet, do so, daily. He'll come around. Mine wake-up in the morning, bask, eat, soak, spend the rest of the day sleeping. BTW, Welcome to TFO.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.