Help!! (tortoise isn't active)

Agent007

Hello, I'm a new member here but I need help for my sulcata tortoise. I bought him like 2 years ago,(I'm pretty sure I bought him after weeks he was because there was still the little sack underneath him), He's been very lazy now. In his cage he is very lazy he barely moves and just sleeps all day long, His weight is about 2 KG and he's as big as and adults hand. But when he's outside his cage he's damn active he explores non-stop but once I put him back in he goes back to lazy mode.

Agent007

*UPDATE* He also hates sunlight every time I put him under the sun he tries to find shelter(A place where there no sunlight.)

gg888

Location (City and/or State)
England
*UPDATE* He also hates sunlight every time I put him under the sun he tries to find shelter(A place where there no sunlight.)
Hi and welcome :) I think before anyone can help you, it would be best if you told us about his enclosure. Substrate, light source, night heat, diet etc. it would also to help to know his temperatures in his enclosure: warm side/ cool side/ basing area. Pictures would be very useful :)

Agent007

Hi and welcome :) I think before anyone can help you, it would be best if you told us about his enclosure. Substrate, light source, night heat, diet etc. it would also to help to know his temperatures in his enclosure: warm side/ cool side/ basing area. Pictures would be very useful :)

I have the PICT. I have one light source which is the UVB light and the black one is the night heater I turn it on when I'm going to OK sleep or if Its a cold day.(He's sleeping on top of the basing area too)

IMG_20151108_163705_HDR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent007

I have the PICT. I have one light source which is the UVB light and the black one is the night heater I turn it on when I'm going to OK sleep or if Its a cold day.(He's sleeping on top of the basing area too)
*UPDATE* Don't worry about the walls, it looked ugly cause of the uvb light since it's evening here. The box is made out of pure wood.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
How much time does he spend in there? I'm afraid that is far too small for a tort that size. He barely moves because there's no where for him to go..
I have a leopard about 10 inches long and he has his own room - although I appreciate that not everyone has a room spare.
He needs plenty of space to be able to move about to adjust his temperature, and more substrate.
He also needs a constant supply of water in a dish big enough for him to get in and self soak to keep hydrated - a cheap terracotta plant saucer will do, but there isn't room for that in his enclosure. so you really need to make something much bigger asap.
What sort of bulb are you using for your uvb?
Have a look at the caresheets for sullies under Species Specific and the Enclosures thread will give you ideas on what you should be aiming for and the Beginners Mistakes will help you correct anything you've been getting wrong or avoid the same mistakes as others.
This website will definitely help you and improve things for your tort so that he lives a long and happy life.
Which country are you in ?- it helps if other members have an idea of your climate.

Last edited:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada

Is that an enclosure or a night box? What does the space he lives in during the day look like? Is he outside? Inside? What temperatures (highs and lows, day and night) is he experiencing?

What's the white stuff all over the ground? Urates?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Please read our care sheet for sulcata tortoises. It's pinned at the top of the Sulcata section. I think once you improve your tortoise's living conditions he'll start to show more activity.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Don't mean to hurt you, but I really do think that your tort's enclosure is far too small. Please keep in mind that these cute little animals live in the wild where they roam around without boundaries, or borders. Imagine their reaction when you put one of them in such a tiny enclosure!:(

Sorry for what came above, am only trying to help, alright?;)

Agent007

Yeah I know, he's been growing big for the past 4 months. When I moved him there, he was as small, like 1/10 of the space there. I've also learned that putting water inside the enclosure isn't good. Since the water will make the place more humid and since sulcatas are desert animals they don't like humid places which is why I removes the water basin months ago.

BTW the white thing is urines.

Agent007

A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Don't mean to hurt you, but I really do think that your tort's enclosure is far too small. Please keep in mind that these cute little animals live in the wild where they roam around without boundaries, or borders. Imagine their reaction when you put one of them in such a tiny enclosure!:(

Sorry for what came above, am only trying to help, alright?;)

Sadly, my house complex are roamed with wild cats and rats. Also it's rainy season so I eoont be able to put him outside that much he'll just catch cold.

Agent007

Is that an enclosure or a night box? What does the space he lives in during the day look like? Is he outside? Inside? What temperatures (highs and lows, day and night) is he experiencing?

What's the white stuff all over the ground? Urates?
Its a night box and sometimes an enclosure. In daytime(if not rainy or school days) I let him roam the front yard of my house(which makes him very active) In daytime it's usually hot here so I turn off the heater to keep him from over-heating. But if it's daytime and it's raining I turn on the heater since I'm worried he'll get cold. In night time I turn the heater also. P.S the white thing is Urates.

Agent007

How much time does he spend in there? I'm afraid that is far too small for a tort that size. He barely moves because there's no where for him to go..
I have a leopard about 10 inches long and he has his own room - although I appreciate that not everyone has a room spare.
He needs plenty of space to be able to move about to adjust his temperature, and more substrate.
He also needs a constant supply of water in a dish big enough for him to get in and self soak to keep hydrated - a cheap terracotta plant saucer will do, but there isn't room for that in his enclosure. so you really need to make something much bigger asap.
What sort of bulb are you using for your uvb?
Have a look at the caresheets for sullies under Species Specific and the Enclosures thread will give you ideas on what you should be aiming for and the Beginners Mistakes will help you correct anything you've been getting wrong or avoid the same mistakes as others.
This website will definitely help you and improve things for your tort so that he lives a long and happy life.
Which country are you in ?- it helps if other members have an idea of your climate.

I'm using a coil UVB bulb(It says to be harmful but my torts eyes are okay) I'm planning to move him outside since I have a much more bigger space outside.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That coiled U.V.B. bulb is very likely why your little tort has a light sensitivity. (Doesn't like sunlight, etc) He could have already have damage to his eyes. Also, you need to rethink the humidity.
I know that a lot of what you find here will be counter to what you've heard or read elsewhere and don't get discouraged.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Agent:

So much of what you've said in the last few posts is just plain wrong and harmful to your tortoise.

Yeah I know, he's been growing big for the past 4 months. When I moved him there, he was as small, like 1/10 of the space there. I've also learned that putting water inside the enclosure isn't good. Since the water will make the place more humid and since sulcatas are desert animals they don't like humid places which is why I removes the water basin months ago.

Yes, sulcatas come from Africa, but they don't come from the desert. When the tortoise eggs hatch it is the monsoon season, and there is green grass and weeds along with wet earth and plenty of humidity. Your tortoise needs his water dish back inside his habitat, and a moist substrate.

Its a night box and sometimes an enclosure. In daytime(if not rainy or school days) I let him roam the front yard of my house(which makes him very active) In daytime it's usually hot here so I turn off the heater to keep him from over-heating. But if it's daytime and it's raining I turn on the heater since I'm worried he'll get cold. In night time I turn the heater also. P.S the white thing is Urates.

How 'hot' is "Hot in here"? Without a light to sit under to warm up his inner core, he can only be as warm as the air in his room. If you keep your house about 70-75F inside, that's not nearly 'hot' enough for a tortoise. He needs a spot where he can warm up to at least 85F and hotter is even better. Without being able to get his inner core heated up to almost the same as YOUR inner core (which is 98.6F), then he won't eat because he can't digest his food.

So please read the care sheets for sulcatas that are pinned at the top of the Sulcata section. Your tortoise needs you to educate yourself.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

This forum has the most up to date information from many keepers who have raised tortoises of different species for many years, They very kindly share their experiences with us to help us avoid making the same mistakes and going through the same problems they may have had in the past - they may have learned the hard way but with their help we could avoid that. So I would make this your primary source of information and try to follow all advice on the caresheet as closely as possible if you want to give your tort a happier life.
Your torts needs more space asap with more substrate so that he doesn't have to lie in his own urine or urates.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I hope it doesn't sound like I'm piling on, but I do agree with the others. Your tortoise needs a proper enclosure - much larger with appropriate heating, lighting, substrate, and access to water. Sitting in a small box on top of his own waste isn't a particularly kind existence. It sounds like you may not have space outside to build him something so you will need to find the space for a heated winter shed/tort room.

If you get a thermostat for the heater, you won't have to worry about it overheating him when you're out.

Agent007

The normal temp in my house is at 38-
Hi Agent:

So much of what you've said in the last few posts is just plain wrong and harmful to your tortoise.

Yes, sulcatas come from Africa, but they don't come from the desert. When the tortoise eggs hatch it is the monsoon season, and there is green grass and weeds along with wet earth and plenty of humidity. Your tortoise needs his water dish back inside his habitat, and a moist substrate.

How 'hot' is "Hot in here"? Without a light to sit under to warm up his inner core, he can only be as warm as the air in his room. If you keep your house about 70-75F inside, that's not nearly 'hot' enough for a tortoise. He needs a spot where he can warm up to at least 85F and hotter is even better. Without being able to get his inner core heated up to almost the same as YOUR inner core (which is 98.6F), then he won't eat because he can't digest his food.

So please read the care sheets for sulcatas that are pinned at the top of the Sulcata section. Your tortoise needs you to educate yourself.
My house temp is about 38-43 Degrees Celsius.