Insulated Tortoise Hide

ashleyrichardz

Following this guide http://startortoises.net/housingouts-houses.html I'd like to use this house http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00D61CWQK/s101-20 to create a hide for my tortoise.

I plan to use some sort of insulation throughout the box.

I live in Los Angeles so it's very hot during the day, but at night its been getting pretty cold. Ideally I'd like the house to provide shade during the day, but at night I want it to provide heat. I've read a little bit about radiant heat panels but I don't know which one to buy and what would provide adequate warmth through the night. I'd set it up to a thermostat in order to keep it at a steady temperature throughout the night.

I've seen mixed opinions on radiant heat panels and overall it seemed like as long as I get the right wattage for the size of the space, I should be good. So, which wattage would be best for this 17 x 13 x 11(interior dimensions) box? minus a couple inches for insulation.

I have a CA desert tortoise. 6 inches.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Why can't you do it nature's way and allow him to hibernate?

My desert tortoises' house is under a mulberry tree, in deep shade. It provides a cool retreat in the summer, then in the winter I cover it with plastic and pile on the leaves and they hibernate in there. It's dry and cool enough for them to stay asleep.

They stop eating on their own, and only come out in the a.m. to sit in the sun, then they eventually stay inside. That's when I block the door and cover it all up with leaves.

ashleyrichardz

Why can't you do it nature's way and allow him to hibernate?

My desert tortoises' house is under a mulberry tree, in deep shade. It provides a cool retreat in the summer, then in the winter I cover it with plastic and pile on the leaves and they hibernate in there. It's dry and cool enough for them to stay asleep.

They stop eating on their own, and only come out in the a.m. to sit in the sun, then they eventually stay inside. That's when I block the door and cover it all up with leaves.

I would normally let her hibernate.. she did last year, but I just recently took her to the vet for a respiratory infection. It was advised that I not let her hibernate this year.