interested in a tortoise as an outdoor pet

Status
Not open for further replies.

anouk22

5 Year Member
Hi. I'm looking into tortoises as an outdoor pet. I have a 17000 square foot enclosed yard. Also have a cat and 2 kids. Is there a tortoise that can live comfortably outside in Seattle's wet climate?

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Anouk22:

Welcome to the forum!!

The reason there aren't any natural tortoises in your area is because its too cold and wet. But having said that, you can have any kind of turtle or tortoise that you want and keep it alive and thriving, but it will be a lot of work. You aren't going to be able to just get one and turn it loose. You're going to have to make sure you provide the right kind of habitat for it.

My first thought was a box turtle. They live on land, like a tortoise. They like a more closed-in area with lots of plants and moisture. Of course, they DO need the warmth in order to digest their food, being cold blooded. But I think you would have a much easier time keeping a box turtle happy than trying to have a tortoise.

Russian tortoises are good ones to keep in the cooler climates. They still need the warmth in order to digest their food, but they do well in cooler climates as long as there's a place to go to warm up. They don't get very big and are darned personable.

We have many, many PNW tortoise keepers here on the forum. I'm sure some of them will chime in on this thread and give you some good advice.

Good luck in your search. There's just no kind of pet I'd rather have than a tortoise!!

chadk

10 Year Member!
I live in Snohomish\Monroe.

I keep Sulcatas in a large yard with heated tort shed. They do great. They need plenty of room, lots of good grass and weeds to eat, and a tort house they can go and warm up in.

I have eastern and 3-toed box turtles outdoors as well. Much easier to keep as they don't need the extra heat and will hypbernate in the winter. As a bonus, the love to eat our abuntant snails, slugs, and worms :)

I'll have my russian pen done this summer. I just have a few details to work out and I think they will be able to stay out year round.

Status
Not open for further replies.